Menu

Customizing Glassbox with AspectJ

Help
2009-03-03
2013-05-15
  • chico charlesworth

Hi,

I've customized Glassbox to also monitor my service layer. It works fine, although there are a couple of things I would like to ask:

1. jconsole is showing the jmx mbean under Glassbox > stats > "undefined" > "operation(type ServiceProcessingMonitor; ..)". How do I get it to change "undefined" to my application name? I notice that in the web troubleshooter the application is also shown as "undefined".

2. At startup I get the following warning for all of the classes I've configured for Glassbox to monitor:
    - [WebappClassLoader@127f0b26] warning at com.test.MyService.java:228::0 can not implement lazyTjp at joinpoint method-execution(com.test.MyService.test()) because of advice conflicts, see secondary locations to find conflicting advice [Xlint:multipleAdviceStoppingLazyTjp]
        see also: glassbox/monitor/MethodMonitor.aj:50::0
        see also: glassbox/monitor/MethodMonitor.aj:62::0
    - Any idea what the warning problem is?

Cheers
    Chico

• mickael bride

mickael bride - 2009-03-06

Hello,

For your first question, I think Glassbox take the <display-name> of the "web.xml", but I'm not really sure about this. Maybie you can try...

Can you explain me how did you customized Glassbox to monitor your service layer?
      I try to monitor web service methods, but in JConsole, I only see CXFServlet operations, but not my business webservice methods.
      I tried to add an 'aop.xml' file like this one :

<aspectj>
      <weaver> 
      <include within="com.myco.services..*"/>
      </weaver>
      <aspects>
      <concrete-aspect name="MonitorMyCoService" extends="glassbox.monitor.MethodMonitor"> 
      <pointcut name="monitoredMethods" 
      expression="execution(* com.myco.services.*.*())"/> 
      </concrete-aspect> 
      </aspects>
      </aspectj>

but it doesn't work.

Did you do the same?
      I'm using Tomcat 6

Thanks
      Mickael

• Ron Bodkin

Ron Bodkin - 2009-03-06

Hi Chico,

Out of the box, Glassbox only recognizes application names from servlet contexts. If you have a service layer that isn't accessed through servlets in its process, you need to call responseFactory.setApplication(name) in your monitor so Glassbox will know the application name.

The second warning is unimportant - you can ignore it. It just means that having multiple monitor advices apply to a single line of code prevents a small runtime optimization for AspectJ. You can also suppress it by editing the META-INF/Xlint.properties file in the Glassbox monitor.jar aop.xml to change this line:

multipleAdviceStoppingLazyTjp=warning

to:

multipleAdviceStoppingLazyTjp=ignore

Ron

• Ron Bodkin

Ron Bodkin - 2009-03-06

Make that glassboxMonitor.jar not monitor.jar (sorry I was typing too quickly).