need the config file for ati remote

Help
orangeek
2007-05-01
2013-04-23
  • orangeek

orangeek - 2007-05-01

Hi.
    I'm lurking for gizmod since weeks and I found it really useful for my env: I have a mythbox with an ati usb x10 remote but I "can't " use lirc because with them every button press brings a noise (flick) on screen. with the ati_remote module I've not such issues... and gizmod is definitely the best tool to configure it.
    But... I've problems with the config file. Until now I was successfull in configure the mplayer bindings like the one that I used with lirc (except the volup and voldown buttons... no idea why it don't works, but I can use the 9 and 0). My main concern now is to use my "personal" keybindings for mythfrontend: I'm really used to my bindings and so my brother...
    btw, here is my questions if someone can clarify them to me:

1. how can I know how gizmod "names the buttons"?
    2. can someone post (or send via mail) the config file for an ati remote, in them the mythfrontend bindings differs from the default one?

1. I mean: with lirc I can check (and modify) the name of the buttons in lircd.conf and visualize it with irw, for example. but in gizmod? I tried to enable full debugging (in config file and via the command line switch). The debug output, as fas as I understand, show me the translated event (for example, for the chanup and chandown I can read KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN but not the name of the buttons). I need them to modify the bindings for mythfrontend.
    2. In order to modify the default bindings for mythfrontend, I added a section like the one for mplayer and xine, in them I began to add the bindings. the problem is that for some buttons I got the default binding, even if I add a specific statement for a different command. I hope that reading a modified config file let me understand better how can I modify mine.

Thank you for the help and thank you Tim for such piece of code: I'm sure that v3 will rock. :D

orangeek

• Tim Burrell

Tim Burrell - 2007-05-01

Alright... so first of all a bit of background on how the X10 works versus LIRC:

The X10 sends actual keyboard events, which means you're not intercepting raw codes like you are with LIRC.  The way Gizmod handles the X10 is it exclusively grabs the device, so that only it receives the keyboard events from the remote.  From inside the script you then send your own modified keyboard events to the application in question (ie mythfrontend).

I'll email you my own personal Gizmod 2.x config script, that has (I think) a complete mapping for mythfrontend.  I think it's different than what comes with the Gizmod 2.3 release.  Take a look at it and if you have questions post them here so everyone can see.  I'd post the config file here but these forums mess up the formatting (which is important in Python).

Now... a bit about Gizmod 3.  Major apologies on the undocumented and monolithic nightmare that is the Gizmod 2.x config script.  G3 is a HUGE step up in terms of modularity, and documentation, so if you get a bit frustrated with 2.x, don't worry you're not alone.  And G3 is getting closer and closer!

The design is pretty much nailed down, and I'm just working on adding functionality... LIRC support is there, powermate is working good, although incomplete (no support for the LED yet), and I haven't started on the X10 yet, but only because I lent mine to someone.  If you end up having trouble getting your X10 to work with 2.x, and you're interested in doing some beta testing let me know, and as soon as I have preliminary X10 support I can ship you off a beta to test.

I'll email you my config right now.

Tim.

• orangeek

orangeek - 2007-05-02

Thank you Tim.
        I'd like to be a beta tester for the 3.x with my ati x10; I'm not so code-skilled but I'm using Linux since 2002 and hope that I can contribute.
        I understand your explanation on how gizmod works even if the way how gizmod translate "inside the script" in order to send "modified keyboard events" is yet a bit unclear to me but I hope that with your config file I can understand it better!

thank you
        orangeek

• Tim Burrell

Tim Burrell - 2007-05-02

That's great thanks!  The more people I can get to help test the better off everyone will be.  I'll send you an email in the next couple of days (hopefully) with a tarball and some instructions.  And don't worry about not being so code-skilled.  First of all I'll just be needing reports on anything that doesn't (or does) work, and secondly I'm hoping that the new config script system will be much easier to understand, so that even non python hackers can easily get the gist.  (That will be something I'd like your input on as well).

As for how the sending of modified keyboard events works:

Gizmod makes a connection to your actual keyboard device.  When it receives a keyboard event from the X10 remote, it stops the rest of the system from intercepting that event.  You then tell gizmod to send out a new keyboard event by creating a fake event on the actual keyboard itself.  You can even send out fake events on other devices, like the mouse, or a joystick, or whatever you want.  Does that help at all?  And did you receive the config script I sent? (and if so does it work?)

Thanks for agreeing to help test!  Muchly appreciated!

Tim.

• orangeek

orangeek - 2007-05-02

No problem with the beta testing, really! My only hope is that I can understand if something "doesn't (or does) work" and not if I'm not able to let it work... :)
            btw, I did not receive your config file.

can you send it to I dot desire dot spam at gmail dot com ? thank you

about how gizmod works: mmmh, I understand it. but from the config file is not clear to me how translate the events... and also: if I can translate something (where then input != output), I should need to understand the input in order to tell gizmod the output I want.
            So if I want to modify the VOLUMEUP input (button) in something like "KEY_F12" for myth, I need to know how gizmod names the button (i.e., vol_up, volume_up, vol_+, pump_up_vol ...). I understand that the kernel module for X10 send keyboard events (i.e. the "C" button send a "C" output on xterm) but for the other buttons ? vol_up/down, chan_up/down, etc?