Menu

Gizmod is ignored

Help
2010-09-24
2013-04-23
  • Morten Kjeldgaard

I am trying to get gizmod to work on Kubuntu 10.4 (Lucid) with my Powermate dial. When invoking with the debug switch, everything seems normal. All events are listed. But the signals are completely ignored by the windows. Nothing happens. I have run out of ideas to try. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

• Morten Kjeldgaard

Not sure what happened, but I got gizmod to work with Firefox and Chromium, now the windows scroll (as they should) when I turn the powermate dial.

Btw, getting gizmod to work correctly under Lucid, check out bug #645058 on Launchpad: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gizmod/+bug/645058

• Morten Kjeldgaard

Ah, I think I understand now what happened. Because my keyboard was not recognized as a keyboard (and thus not generating Keyboard events, but Standard events) and the same for my mouse, things started to work after I defined these devices in GizmoDeviceStrings.py.  In the file  modules.d/bases/GizmoScriptDefault.py you can see that events are ignored unless both a mouse and a keyboard is attached. So make sure your keyboard generates Keyboard events and your mouse generates Mouse events (as shown by gizmod -g)

• Ian Westcott

Ian Westcott - 2010-09-24

Ohhhh, man. Thanks a lot! I was just trying to get this working today myself and couldn't figure out why the debug script would print out Powermate events but those events were not getting fed to the Powermate scripts that come with the program.