gizmod doesn't see ati receiver

Help
Ennio
2007-10-22
2013-04-23
  • Ennio

Ennio - 2007-10-22

Hi,
    i'm here again. Few moths ago i installed succesfully gizmod on a ubuntu Feisty: i got it working "out of the box", just following the guide about udev rules. Then i started trying to configure, but i had some problems, then i tried to reinstall the program but after many segfaults i gave up.
    Few days ago i installed Gutsy, and few clicks later also gizmod.
    Well, even if i followed the guide, it seems it doesn't see the Ati Receiver (either Ati Remote Wonder 1 or 2 plus). The strange thing is that if i launch dmesg i see that kernel recognaises them:
    usb 3-4.1: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
    [161799.151616] usb 3-4.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [161799.151932] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
    [161799.154635] lirc_atiusb[10]: X10 Wireless Technology Inc USB Receiver on usb3:10
    [194948.866665] usb 3-4.1: USB disconnect, address 10
    [194948.866766] lirc_atiusb[10]: usb remote disconnected
    [194953.667701] usb 3-4.1: new low speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 11
    [194953.765229] usb 3-4.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [194953.765536] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
    [194953.768242] lirc_atiusb[11]: X10 Wireless Technology Inc USB Receiver on usb3:11
    what's happening? Maybe lirc_ati is using resources?
    Thanks a lot, i really want to command my Kubuntu with remote :-)

• Tim Burrell

Tim Burrell - 2007-10-24

Hey Ennio,

Yeah the problem is that the resource is being use by lirc_atiusb.  If you want to use the ATI X10 remotes with Gizmod don't use LIRC at all.  Instead use the X10's actual kernel module.  I believe the module name is ati_remote, or ati_remote2.

Or, if you can't figure out how to not use lirc, you could write a new LIRC config script for the ATI X10 :).

Thanks,

Tim.

• Ennio

Ennio - 2007-10-25

Ciao Tim,

thanks for the suggestion. I've only ah problem... ehm.. how can i disable lir from uploading the kernle module at boot? I use Kubuntu 7.10, and now i'm trying to google to learn how to disable the modules. Is it ok to do "modprobe -rm module_ait_lirc"?

• Tim Burrell

Tim Burrell - 2007-10-25

do you need lirc?  can you just uninstall lirc?

• Ennio

Ennio - 2007-10-25

Lirc isn't installed at all, there is only a library :liblircclient But if i try to uninstall it, synasptic ask also to uninstall vlc.
            As far as i see the kernel modules are uploaded at boot. So i put lircati_usb in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, but it seems nothing changed.
            I don't want to fill the forum with too obvious question, maybe is better if i'll check on the ubuntu forums before :-)

• Tim Burrell

Tim Burrell - 2007-11-03

Hrmm... okay I recently installed Ubuntu, and I see what you mean.  Ubuntu builds ALL modules and there are actually 3 can handle the ATI X10, and are for different purposes.

As a quick fix you should be able to to:

sudo rmmod lirc_atiusb
              sudo modprobe ati_remote (or ati_remote2 depending on your remote)

Then gizmod will likely work.

If you don't need lirc at all you could try "sudo chmod 000 /etc/udev/modules.d/85-lirc.rules" followed by "sudo /etc/init.d/udevstart start" then unplug and plugin the remote and see if it gets the proper driver.  That'll just make the lirc udev rules unreadable by udev so hopefully it won't load that lirc module.

Lemme know if you find a better solution to this!

Thanks,

Tim.

• Ennio

Ennio - 2008-02-01

Hi Tim, after so long time i'm writing to tell you that finally, following the instructions in the site and your suggestions in this thread i managed to make gizmod worknig with my "Mythbuntu 7.10"!!!! I'm very glad of this, thanks a lot for your so important help!!

• Tim Burrell

Tim Burrell - 2008-02-01

Great to hear!  Thanks for updating the thread and letting me know!