No source of gimponosx app for GIMP 2.6.7?

Developers
~suv
2009-08-17
2013-05-15
  • ~suv

~suv - 2009-08-17

Will the updated source for building gimponosx application bundles be public? I see a long list of commits on the 'Develop' page, but in 'SCM Repositories - gimponosx' the last commit is from 2009-05-23.

tia, ~suv

• Simone Karin Lehmann

yes, of course, the source will be published. They are GPLed software.

Please be patient. I did change a lot of the Leopard theme and many individual ports and some scripts too and had not commited them to SVN. (yes, I know... that's not a good coding style... I promise, I'll do better in the future)

SVN will be updated in the next few days.

• ~suv

~suv - 2009-08-17

> Please be patient
        of course ;-)

Just wanted to bump the issue because I wasn't sure if you realized that the commits didn't appear in the SCM repository (and I already had spent time to (not) find the 2.6.6-p1 changes ;-)

thank you for your efforts to bring GIMP to OS X!
        ~suv

• Simone Karin Lehmann

... done.

Updating SVN was much easier as I thought in the first place. (I didn't commit the ports separately, that made it :-) )

So, just checkout SVN and take a look at the changes I've made.

Happy compiling :-)
      -skl

• ~suv

~suv - 2009-08-17

thanks, checkout done - compiling is another issue ;-)
        I'm using your builds so far - my MacPorts experience is newbie level at best: building Inkscape.app from current SVN (as non-root) was my first encounter, now I want to figure out if I can use my existing tree for GIMP or really have to rebuild the whole gtk2 port again.

~suv

• Simone Karin Lehmann

hhmmm, I'm sorry, but you have to recompile the whole stuff and can't reuse a exising MacPorts tree. (I used a custom path, /tmp/skl/, for GIMP. This way it was much easier to make GIMP "movable" so that it can be stored in every directory you like.)
      And, I've patched many ports to fit the specific needs for GIMP on OS X (dependencies, universal build, source code patches, additional ports, using system X11)  A standard MacPorts repository won't fit.
      -skl

• ~suv

~suv - 2009-08-17

I know, I have read your posts here and on gimper.net, and took a peek at your scripts and portfiles. I see it as challenge (some Inkscape dependencies didn't like non-root custom-prefix either ;-), and opportunity to get more experience with both OS X and MacPorts. But I will happily return to your recommended way before I get desperate...

~suv

• ~suv

~suv - 2012-05-10

Hi Simone - many thanks for your latest efforts (Gimp 2.8)!

Do you have plans to commit and push your packaging changes for 2.8.0? (I had been hoping to be able to get a peak at your changes for 2.6.12, but unfortunately those never had been committed to the SVN repository).

(Background: Gimp.app can get called in the context of other (ported and packaged) applications (e.g. Inkscape.app) to externally edit linked raster graphics, and will inherit the shell environment from the parent (calling) process. This can (and did) cause conflicts in the past due to different packaging strategies and linked library versions. To avoid such conflicts (e.g. with means of a shell wrapper script which unsets certain env variables before passing the file name to Gimp), it can be helpful to understand at which level for example GIMP's XDG paths have been changed, if and how $PATH is modified, etc.).

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks