OSX Lion - Unable to open test swap file

Help
Odstudio
2012-01-13
2013-05-15
  • Odstudio

Odstudio - 2012-01-13

Have just downloaded Gimp 2.6.11 and opening message states - Unable to open a test swap file.

To avoid data loss, please check the location in permissions of the swap directory defined in your Preferences (currently '/Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Gimp").  looking in this file - there is no Gimp support.  How do I fix this problem ?  BTW have Xcode downloaded as requested by Gimp, also. 

• Ben Miller

Ben Miller - 2012-02-04

Hi,
    I had exactly the same problem, with Mac OS X 10.7.3 - I solved it by changing the permissions of the /Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Gimp Folder - In Finder ctrl click (right click) on the folder and select "Get Info" (or use Cmd + I). At the bottom of the info window in the "sharing and permissions" section I changed the "staff" group permissions from "Read Only" to "Read & Write". Then restart Gimp and, on my system, Gimp is now happy. This is a slight security compromise, but at least Gimp will work.

Ben

• Anonymous - 2012-02-28

On a fresh Lion install I downloaded Gimp and ran it. Got exactly the same permissions error on the Application Support folder. The fix is to run the following in the terminal:

sudo chown -R username /Users/username/Library/Application\ Support/Gimp

Looking at the permissions on the folder that had been created, it was owned by root which is the apparent error. I guess this is a bug that needs fixing for a fresh installation?