Developers needed: help fixing GIMP on OS X

Help
2010-11-01
2013-05-15
  • Simone Karin Lehmann

Hi folks,

since more than one year I'm offering GIMP packages for Mac OS X. All of the work is done by only one person, by me. This is okay as long as there's only few to do and bugs are more or less easily to squeeze out.

But now there's one major bug in GTK+, which will prevent GIMP 2.8 to work properly with tablets. This bug is in all GTK+ version 2.17 or higher. Since GIMP 2.8 depends on at least GTK+ 2.18, GIMP 2.8 will lack tablet support.

So, if you are a developer, capable of GTK+, GLIB2, GIMP, MacPorts and bash scripting, it would be nice if you'll join this project and help to make GIMP 2.8 work properly with graphic tablets on Macs.

Without your help, it's likely that GIMP 2.8 won't run on Mac OS X. Don't let GIMP on OS X die !

So, join the project, fix the bug and help offering one of the best image manipulating programs to Mac users: GIMP.

Simone

Some information about the bug:

The filechooser dialog (and any other GTK+ standard dialog ?) doesn't recognize any press events from the pen / tablet. Just read this posting:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg19192.html

and especially this reply

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg19193.html

• Anonymous - 2010-11-27

Hello,

I am programmer searching for an Open Source project for my freetime (and to give some back to the community). At this time I don't have an tablet, but in near future I will buy a Magic Trackpad.
    Do this hit the needed requirements to searching for the bug?

(OSX 10.6 and Xcode 3.2.5, MacMini, Early 2009)

Regards
    Wolf S. K.

• Simone Karin Lehmann

… sorry for answering so lately.

Thank you for offering your help. To fix the tablet issue. you need to have a graphic tablet. The bug only occurs, if you use a tablet.

The Magic Trackpad won't be sufficient. AFAIK it uses the mouse driver routines.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks