tablet (bamboo wacom) support on snow leopard

Help
vichug
2011-01-09
2013-05-15
  • vichug

vichug - 2011-01-09

hello,
    i just installed gimp 2.6.11 for snow leopard(10.6.6), my x11 is 2.3.6, and my "wacom bamboo pen" graphic tablet driver as well (5.2.4-3)
    So for now Gimp won't know there's a pen tablet on my computer. I can't use the pressure parameter in any way. If i go to preferences ->périphériques d'entrée->controleurs d'entrée (preferences->input devices->input controlers) ; there's midi input, mouse wheel and keyboard as available, but no graphic tablet.
    I had the same problem in os 10.4, and i thought it was a problem concerning outdated x11, which would not be updated on 10.4, but would be on more recent systems, so that problem would be solved.
    It seems it's not that easy… Or is there simply something like a plugin for x11 or gimp to download ?

• vichug

vichug - 2011-01-09

oh and just in case it helps, i tried to run gimp using a native compiled release from here : http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/ , which seems quite buggy otherwise, and it won't recognize my tablet as well. So maybe the bug is coming from a very gimp dependency indeed ?

• vichug

vichug - 2011-01-09

after checking over and again, it happened that i didn't have the latest x11 version available
    you can't get the latest one from the apple software update - if useful, here you can get it : http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

• vichug

vichug - 2011-01-09

So… As i suspected, after rebooting so that Gimp would launch under the latest x11 (wich is called xquartz now, though it seems to be exactly the same thing) the graphic tablet problem remains.

• Simone Karin Lehmann

You didn't use the correct Gimp menu. Go to

Edit -> Preferences -> >Input Devices -> Configure Extende Input Devices

BTW, there's absolutely no need to install any X11 version from anywhere on the net. GIMP on OS X is designed to run with X11 shipped with Tiger / Leopard / SnowLeopard. In theory it should do no harm if you install XQuartz on SnowLeopard (GIMP still uses Apples X11 libraries which are still on your system. XQaurtz and Apple's X11 live side by side on SnowLeopard). On Tiger or on Leopard, you could run into serius trouble if you install the XQuart version. But if you run into trouble, you should ask the guys on the XQuartz homepage. I won't give any support for this X11 version.

Remember: Absolutely no need to install XQuartz.

• vichug

vichug - 2011-01-11

Solved !
    At last… really, thank you a lot lot, i feel so dumb.
    hm regarding xquartz and x11 i don't really get the difference. all i know is that i actually use XQuartz instead of x11 even if x11 is still installed, and i see no difference. whatever. my problem was really not related to that :)
    thanks again !

• Johan Halmén

Johan Halmén - 2011-01-12

So what _was _your problem then? I'm curious, because I can't use the pressure feature with my Bamboo. But Gimp does recognise the tablet as any mouse device.

I have a PowerBook with a PPC processor and OSX 10.4. So I guess it's a dead end for me. Last time I checked it out, I understood that the pressure sensitivity comes with some newer version of X11, either XQuartz or Apple, a version that only works on Intel Mac and 10.5. My situation is stupid. I would have to update my software and probably hardware too, to be able to run Gimp. At some point it would be cheaper to buy some commercial graphic editor instead, which would run ok on my PowerBook.

Anyway, I'm comfortable with a combination of Gimp and Seashore. I use Gimp for most things, but when I need to draw something with pressure control, I switch to Seashore. Seashore reads and saves images in Gimp format, it has a very good interface, but it lacks a lot of the heavy duty stuff that Gimp has.

• Simone Karin Lehmann

I'm curious, because I can't use the pressure feature with my Bamboo. But Gimp does recognise the tablet as any mouse device.

as I already said. Configure your tablet in "Edit -> Preferences -> input Devices -> Configure Extended Input Devices". If you don't, you tablet will only act as a mouse.

This is supported on Tiger, Leopard and SnowLeopard builds of the GIMP on OS X packages.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks