GIMP 2.8 Text Tool Crash

Help
2012-05-10
2013-05-15
  • saltedcoffee

saltedcoffee - 2012-05-10

Just playing around a bit with the new GIMP 2.8 version under 10.7.3 Lion. I updated it today from the previous 2.6.12 version. Whenever I try to use the text tool, X11 immediately crashes as soon as I place the text cursor somewhere on my image. Changing any parameter from the tool options doesn't solve the problem.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Open GIMP.
    2. Open an image of your choice or create a new one with arbitrary parameters.
    3. Select the text tool.
    4. Optional: Play around with the tool options, e.g. changing font, size, hinting, use text editor, static box etc.
    4. Click somewhere in the image to place the text cursor.
    5. Watch GIMP and X11 crash.

Is there anybody around with the same issue? Any chances to get this fixed? Should I post a crashlog here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    saltedcoffee

• Simone Karin Lehmann

…hhmmm, I can not reproduce this on my systems, although I heard of another user, having the same issue.

What Mac OS X version do you run? Which X11 version? Something else special

There's currently another issue with the curves tool. Some Macs crash when you place the cursor somewhere above the curves window. Other system run well. What happens on your system? Try opening an image, select the curves tool and place the cursor on the dialog window. Does it crash?

-skl

• Kevin

Kevin - 2012-05-10

same for me (in reply to first post), GIMP 2.8 on OSX 10.7.3 fully updated and X11 2.6.3 (xorg-server 1.10.3).
    I have a crashlog too if anyone wants it.

• Brett Blevins

Brett Blevins - 2012-05-10

Gimp 2.8.0 and X11 2.3.6 crash for me the instant I click on the canvas with the text tool. Mac OS X 10.6.8 on MaBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM. GIMP rules!

• Brett Blevins

Brett Blevins - 2012-05-11

I forgot to test the Curves too. As soon as I bring up the Curves tool, I ger the spinning pizza, then GIMP and X11 crash. Same as above: Mac OS X 10.6.8 on MaBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM.

• Christian Sarnataro

Hi, the same for me, the text tool makes X11 crash every time i just click on the main canvas.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2,4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2

• Simone Karin Lehmann

As far as I can see it for now, it seems that Apple's X11 has a bug which is triggered by one of the libraries GIMP uses. That means, that it is not possible from inside the GIMP package to fix this issue. Instead Apple's X11 has to be fixed. But since that would require Apple to do all the work… well, that will be very unlikely.

The only solution I can think of is, to install the X server from the XQuartz project, at least version 2.7.1, which has a fix for this bug.

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases

So please install XQuartz 2.7.1. This should fix your issues.

After installing, reboot your Mac (although logging out and logging in again should be sufficient, please reboot) Now GIMP should run without crashing on the text tool and the curves tool.

And to make it clear, now you need both X servers, XQuartz and Apple's X11.

(aarrgghh, now that I need to tell people that they have to use XQuartz instead of Apple's X11, there will be many other complaints about X11 / XQuartz not starting, mostly because you still need Apple's X11 and many users didn't install it in the first place…  *$%&  :-((  )

But worst of all, IMO  Apple won't update their X11, so there's no way to get GIMP 2.8.0 working on Leopard or Tiger systems, because XQuartz 2.7.1 is not available on these systems …. Sorry, folks, …. :-(((

• saltedcoffee

saltedcoffee - 2012-05-11

Well, just for the sake of completeness: Yes, GIMP also crashes when I use the curves tool. But if it's a bug in Apple's X11, how comes not every installation is affected by the issue?

Concerning Apple's willingness to fix the bug I wouldn't get too pessimistic: There was a time when you had to use the "focus follows mouse" feature to activate a tool in GIMP with just one mouse click, which was quite nice, but nothing more than a workaround. Then one day, Apple's X11 came with something called "click through windows", and GIMP suddenly felt so more natural … just a diffuse hope that Apple might listen to X11 user experiences in whatever way.

Simone, thank you so much for your support!

Kind regards,
    saltedcoffee

• saltedcoffee

saltedcoffee - 2012-05-11

Okay, that was easy … installing the latest XQuartz next to my existing X11 indeed fixes the issue for me. Acutally, trying XQuartz was one of the first things I thought of when I encountered the problem. I didn't do it because you clearly say GIMP needs Apple's X11 to run. I just didn't know that X11 and XQuartz can be installed simultaneously on the same system.

Regards,
    saltedcoffee

• Brett Blevins

Brett Blevins - 2012-05-11

I installed XQuartz 2.7.1, which fixes both GIMP crashes (text and curves). It's great to now enjoy the super-cool new features of GIMP 2.8. By the way, XQuartz's software update window pops up and says version 2.7.2 is available. I have not installed this yet.

Thanks, Lisa, for such a quick solution!

• saltedcoffee

saltedcoffee - 2012-05-12

By the way, XQuartz's software update window pops up and says version 2.7.2 is available. I have not installed this yet.

I did, and GIMP still runs fine. So I assume it's safe to do the update.

• Jan Holtman

Jan Holtman - 2012-05-13

I also have a continious crashing of Gimp 2.8. Gimp 2.6 never ever crashed on me but this Gimp 2.8 always.
    The problem can be reproduced easily.
    Windows 7 64 bit home edition
    Gimp 2.8 version
    G'MIC extra filters installed
    I used to have Giimp Lensfun installed but had to uninstall that one, Gimp Lensfun and Gimp 2.8 are not compatible at all.

OK Open Gimp 2.8
    Open 3 or more photo's (JPG)
    Use any filter let's say levels or curves
    edit the photo and choose overwrite photo
    Close the photo ( and don't save the untitled)
    Open the next photo, click on it (normally the previously used tool should reopen but then a white grey screen and Windows tells you Gimp has stopped working.
    However if you only open one photo at the time then Gimp does not crash.

regards,

Jan

• Brett Blevins

Brett Blevins - 2012-05-13

Hi jan-holtman,

Sorry you are having GIMP 2.8 trouble, but this is the forum for GIMP on Mac OS X, not Windows. I bet there is a different forum for Windows users.

Cheers!

• ramuntcho

ramuntcho - 2012-05-14

Hi !

I have just read the message of lisanet about XQuartz and i have just tested Gimp 2.8 on Mac OSX 10.7.4, with X11 2.6.4. I test the text tool and the curve tool, and… NO CRASH, everything fine. I think that in 10.7.3 i have X11 2.6.3, is it right ?
    :-))  Christian

• ramuntcho

ramuntcho - 2012-05-15

Hi,

I have tried an other test. I take the X11User.pkg from the installer of Mac OSX 10.7.4 and install it on 10.6.8 -> no chance, X11 can't be launch because it needs 10.7 minimum.
    So for now we can use Gimp 2.8 with 10.7.4, not with Snow Leopard if we don't want to download XQuartz. Perhaps somebody will find a way to install X11 2.6.4 in Snow Leopard…

• Simone Karin Lehmann

I've already found another solution.

I've linked GIMP 2.8 against XQuartz and added a script. The script will test, if XQuartz is installed on the users system and if not, it will offer options to either download XQuartz or to download and install XQuartz. This works on SnowLeopard and on Lion. 

:-)

-skl

• Anonymous - 2012-05-15

Hi

Thanks for the great work!

One small thing: the link to XQuartz on the support page goes dead. It should go to http://xquartz.­macosforge.­org (yours has macforge)

Regards,

Jeroen

• ramuntcho

ramuntcho - 2012-05-16

Hi,

I'm responsible for installing software on Macs in public schools ; in Lion, i can install Gimp 2.8, it s working with X11 2.6.4. But in ours mac in snow leopard, we have to install XQuartz. So, do we need to keep X11 and XQuartz, or can we throw away X11 ? We also use Inkscape, what will happen ?

Thanks for any answer (and thanks lisanet for your good job !)

• ramuntcho

ramuntcho - 2012-05-16

Hi,

And last thing for lisanet, is it a good idea to force to download XQuartz for Lion (10.7.4) while it works fine with X11 2.6.4 ?

• Simone Karin Lehmann

Is it a good idea to force downloading XQuartz?  Well, this depends on your point of view.

SnowLeopard: You need XQuartz to get 2.8 running. Apple's X11 is version 2.6.3, which won't work

Lion: Apple's X11 is version 2.6.4, wich will work. Using this would require to link against these libraries and compile GIMP on a Lion system. Compiling 2.8 on a Lion system will currently break UFRaw and lensfun, and I don't know how to fix this.

Xquartz on Lion works well. UFRaw and lensfun work too with XQuartz on Lion

Mountain Lion: you will need to download some X server. So why not using XQuartz too on Mountain Lion?

So, it's possible to do separate builds for SnowLeopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, but this will break UFRaw and lensfun on Lion. Or I do one single build, which depends on XQuartz and is build on a SnowLeoprd machine and which will therefor work on SnowLeopard, Lion and Mountain Lion and which has a working UFRaw and lensfun.

So, as long as I can use my SnowLeopard system, I will just build 2.8 using XQuartz, because this makes life a little bit easier for me….

-skl

• ramuntcho

ramuntcho - 2012-05-20

Hi Lisanet,

Thanks for the explanations. As i'm responsible for the installation on more than 2000 macs, mainly in SL, but some news in Lion, i don't want to make a mistake. So i have tested (lightly) XUqrtz on both systems, and also with Inkscape and it seems working like X11. So i think that i will replace X11 by XQuartz for next year on both systems.

An again, thanks a lot for the excellent job.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks