gutenprint 5.2.9 not working w/osx 10.7.4

Help
anna
2012-09-19
2013-05-29
  • anna

anna - 2012-09-19

greetings.  i run an imac 20 inch late 2006 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running osx 10.7.4 and i would like to connect a sharp al-1655cs printer/copier/scanner directly to the mac.  first off, i know sharp doesn't have a mac driver for this machine; but the manual does say printer functions will be supported via a usb hookup.  using a usb 2.0 male-a to male-b cable, the mac identifies the sharp, thinks it sending data to the printer, but there's never any actual output.

i downloaded gutenprint 5.2.9, used the uninstaller, installed the new gutenprint, rebooted everything (a couple of times actually), and still nothing.  when i re-added the printer, the driver chosen was generic postscript printer and that didn't work.  so i changed it to generic pcl printer and that doesn't work either.  any help to get this going would be greatly appreciated.  i'm pretty tech-capable, so don't be shy suggesting solutions.  thanx.

• mbroughtn

mbroughtn - 2012-09-19

According to the Owner's Manual, the Sharp al-1655cs uses SPLC (Sharp Printer Language with Compression) as the printer language.  This would be a proprietary printer language from Sharp.  The Gutenprint drivers do not support this printer language.  In addition, I can find no other third party open source driver for your device.  Searching the Sharp web site it appears that Sharp offers drivers for Windows only computers.

The only way that I can think of for you to print using this printer is if it were set up on a Windows computer as a shared printer.

• anna

anna - 2012-09-19

thanx mb.  i thought there might be a "plain vanilla" option out there, but i've looked far and wide and am not coming up with anything. 

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks