Menu

macOS Big Sur 11.1

VL-1
2021-01-23
2021-11-23
  • VL-1

VL-1 - 2021-01-23

After an OS update my printer Canon Pixma iP5300 as well as my scanner Canon Image Formula P-215 did not work anymore.

Canon provides software updates for printers and scanners for a few year only (planned obsolescence ...??).
    The workarounds I used earlier did not work this time.

Now, I tried Gutenprint.
    Even macOS Big Sur 11.1 is not officially supported yet I installed the download.
    First nothing happened but in the background the printer software were installed - and it works ...!
    THANK YOU GUYS !!!

My scanner I fixed by installing VueScan (unfortunately quite expensive).
    Now my scanner works better and much much faster than before.

Over the years I had to dump a few printers and scanners - not anymore.
    Please consider the environment (and your wallet) before dumping printers and scanners!

👍
  • D Everitt

D Everitt - 2021-11-23

I have a Canon Pixma MP990, and successfully installed Gutenprint with Homebrew: brew install --cask homebrew/cask-drivers/gutenprint. I've not tried the scanning solution yet, but found VueScan to be the most likely solution, so thanks for the info.

• RumpelStilz

RumpelStilz - 2021-11-23

With VueScan, you're on the right track. It supports all but every scanner. It is always current because every couple of weeks is an update in the air. Just don't bother Hamrick with too many e-mails: To get rid of them, he's installed every possible help online. Good luck!

👍
  • mbroughtn

mbroughtn - 2021-11-23

Another vote for VueScan. I've used it for years. It is a wonderful progam. Very powerful and intuitive. Much easier to use than Apple's Image Capture driver or the open source SANE.

Matt

👍