Menu

Negative print motion with ESC/P2

daniela
2008-06-12
2022-02-21
  • daniela

daniela - 2008-06-12

I am developing an imaging program that needs to superimpose several images on the same printing area. More specifically, I need to move the printhead backward (namely in the negative y direction) after one of the images has finished printing.
    The printers in questions are Epson Pro 7800/9800 series.
    I have tried to issue after the first image has finished printing, an ESC (V command with a value of zero to reposition the printhead at the (0,0) position and also ESC(v command with negative parameters. The effect of the commands was null. From the ESC/P Reference Manual it looks like the above commands cannot be issued for moving the printhead backward after a raster grafic command has been issued (like in my case).
    Any suggestion on how to solve the problem?

Thank you very much.
        Daniela

• Eugene Kim

Eugene Kim - 2009-05-08

Hi, I'm also developer of RIP SW.

1. I think that move printhead backward is not possible. all the firmware made what they move forward only.

2. why do you need printhead backwards ? I think just nesting or merging all image data then no need printhead backwards ?

I want to know your idea why need move backward.
      Thank you.

• Ramiro Chagas de Carvalho

Hi, Eugene. Sorry for not seeing your post.

I am using cheap epson printers to print with UV curable inks and I am having trouble getting the ink to polimerize with my UV leds.
        So, I think one way to go is to print the whole page in layers with low density and them, move the paper backwards and print again. During the time to print the page, the already printed parts would cure and them I would move the paper backwards to print another layer.
        By doing this I could improve color and coverage of the printing.
        The problem is that Epson low price printers use the backwards movement of the PF axle to drive the ink pump and, so, the printer need to be modified mechanically and also probably in the firmware since there is ESCP2 command to drive the paper backwards a full page length.
        The mechanics aspect is simple: just remove the ink pump because I don't need it when working with uv curabe inks (they are oily and do not clog nozzles - except for that damm white ink...). You have to remove also some of the small rollers that sit on top of the PF axle because they touch the paper and them would damage the printed image. Leave only the one on each side that would run over the margin area.
        The firmware changes are more complicated and are themselves a topic apart.
        Regards.

• Ramiro Chagas de Carvalho

Hi Daniela. Did you eventually find a way to move the paper backwards? For the Epson printers that I deal with it is not physically possible because it uses the backwards movement of the traction axle to drive the ink pump to clean the nozzles.
    Did you find another way of superimposing printing layers?

Thanks,
    Ramiro.

• Gary Aitken

Gary Aitken - 2022-02-21

The Epson ESCP2 command set has an option for drying time, on a per-scan basis, that you might be able to use to accomplish this. However, it would lead to the print taking a heck of a long time to finish.
    Another option would be to use a newer printer like the P900 and use modify the CD tray or adapt it to hold the paper, then reprint. But it might not have a large enough print area for your purposes.