Help save net neutrality! Learn more.
Close

#153 Crash on WinXP if path contains accented characters

v1.0 (example)
closed-fixed
None
5
2013-07-28
2011-04-04
No

I downloaded and installed gerbv (version 2.5.0) via the binary installer from Sourceforge.

When I tried to open a gerber file that contained accented (non-ascii) characters in its path (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Felhasználó\Documents\foo.gbr), gerbv either crashed (displaying Windows' oh-so-helpful crash report dialog window) or showed a message about not being able to open the file.

When I copied the file to a different directory (that didn't have any funny letters in its path) the file was opened normally.

OS version: Windows XP SP3

Discussion

  • Julian Lamb

    Julian Lamb - 2011-04-13

    Peter,
    Thank you for reporting this bug. Someone mentioned a similar problem about a year ago, but we were *hoping* it was fixed with the 2.5 release and closed the bug report. Apparently this wasn't the case. I'll try and do some more research into what could be causing this...unfortunately this bug seems to only happen on non-English Windows versions (what localization of Windows are you using?), so it is impossible for me to see this bug for myself.

    Cheers--
    Julian

     
  • Julian Lamb

    Julian Lamb - 2011-04-13
    • assigned_to: nobody --> thepurlieu
     
  • Péter Juhász

    Péter Juhász - 2011-04-13

    It was a Hungarian Windows. As the default user name on this system, "Felhasználó", contains accented letters, this bug is going to cause problems, because Windows prefers to put stuff in the users' Documents directory, the path of which contains the user name.

    I've done some experimenting:
    an accented letter anywhere in the full filename will trigger the bug, be it "C:\á\x.gbr" or "C:\x\á.gbr".
    The actual failure mode varies: sometimes I got an error message and the program remained usable, sometimes it crashed (displaying the crash report dialog), sometimes it seemed to freeze.

    I tried saving the project as "á.gvp", but Windows then showed it in the file list as "á.gvp" (or something like that), which is similar to how UTF-8 would look like in a legacy 8-bit encoding.

    So there must be an encoding problem here (something expects and assumes UTF-8, and chokes when it gets something else), but I don't know where exactly. I seem to recall similar bugs in other Gtk/Glib-based applications on Windows.

     
  • Sergey Alyoshin

    Sergey Alyoshin - 2013-07-28
    • status: open --> closed-fixed
    • Group: --> v1.0 (example)
     
  • Sergey Alyoshin

    Sergey Alyoshin - 2013-07-28

    Fixed in git.

     

Log in to post a comment.