As Andrea occasional points out we need to recruit more developers into core.
I got a couple ideas - I have a bunch of rainy day projects:
- update datastore tutorial
- backport wms-c from udig
- backport scalebar implementation to DirectLayer
I am thinking of emailing the user list (which has expressed interest in each of these ideas) and asking for help.
I was thinking help would take the form of:
- starting an unsupported module for the work; listing myself as "mentor" in the developers section
- gathering interested parties into the developer section of the pom.xml; mentoring through the getting svn access process etc..
- starting the outline of code; performing code reviews and otherwise helping get the code ship shape
- making a release or two ...
- and then nominating the module for supported status
I was thinking of extending this offer to the user list; but with the catch - I could only mentor one module at a time.
Is this a good idea? Does anyone else have features that we could use to tempt additional developers into stepping up?