Menu

Full virtualization- Windows installation ?

Ken Okabe
2013-04-10
2013-06-06
  • Ken Okabe

Ken Okabe - 2013-04-10

First of all, thanks for this great project.

I have been searching for a micro-kernel ground-up approach in my system.

Accoding to the latest release note:
    Release notes summary for the version 13.02
    Full virtualization via the Vancouver VMM (NOVA/x86)

Does this mean now we can install even Windows OS on top of this framework?

Also, I wonder if I can install FreeBSD(PC-BSD) with KDE desktop(3D accelation)

My hardware is MacBookAir late2011, so probably hardware requirement is satisfied with.

Thanks.

• Norman Feske

Norman Feske - 2013-04-11

Thanks for your interest in Genode.

At the moment, the device models of the Vancouver VMM are missing some bits that are needed for running Windows. So far, the development has been primarily focused on running Linux as a guest OS. This is not a fundamental design limitation but merely missing bits in the implementation. If you are interested in the capabilities of the VMM, I would recommend to get in touch with the developers directly. They are currently gathering around the project called "Seoul", which is a fork of the original Vancouver VMM: See https://github.com/TUD-OS/Seoul

I have never tried to run FreeBSD as guest OS inside Vancouver. Since one of the Seoul developers (Julian), happens to be a FreeBSD user, I guess the chances are not too bad. ;-)

There is no GPU virtualization in Vancouver. The only way to use 3D acceleration for a guest OS would be to pass the GPU directly to the guest OS. Vancouver has principal support for this. With Vancouver on Genode, however, we haven't tried this so far. So this is new territory.

Finally, let me recommend the Genode mailing list general discussion. This is where most members of the community are discussing topics around Genode. See http://genode.org/community/mailing-lists