Menu

LCD - Connection type LCD_IO 3

Anobium
2018-10-31
2018-11-06
  • Anobium

Anobium - 2018-10-31

Just added LCD_IO 3. A new method to connect an LCD. See http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/help/_lcd_io_3.html

But, essentially a three port connection with Data, Clock and Enable lines connected to LS74574.

Chris Roper is using this new method in his PICSim demonstrations.

Enjoy.

• Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2018-11-06

In an attempt to clarify the above partial schematic, I have created this minimum working solution in SimulIDE. Hopefully it shows the essential connections a little more clearly.

Cheers
    Chris

EDIT: Fixed error Q6 now connects to D7

Last edit: Chris Roper 2020-09-15
  • Geoffrey Younger

Well done Chris, I'm sure this would be a great benefit to many. I tried to find an updated version of lcd.h which might have the software so I could check it out, but without luck - are you able to help ?

One thing that intrigued me was the choice of 74LS574 as opposed to a 74HC595. The extra wiring ( 8 outputs to 8 inputs) and cost (74HC595 are very popular and consequently cheap!) . To achieve the same thing on a 595 all you have to do is tie the two clocks (input & latch) together and
    supply 9 clock pulses. The Data output pin is shared between the 595 datain and RS pin on the LCD. After the 9 clock pulses + a short delay the RS state is set, the Enable Pin is made High - which latches in the RS status on the rising edge and on the falling edge of the clock latches in the lcd data.
    Regards, Geoff

• Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2018-11-06

Hi Geoff,

The Files are in the Build queue awaiting release when documentation is complete.
    Anobium is on the Road at the moment but is planning to release in a few days.

The choice of 74LS574 was not mine, I just needed a driver for it as it was used in a Brazilian made training board and is simulated in PICSimLab as Board 2.

I was, still am, considering using PICSimLab as a tutorial platform for GCBASIC and as such needed to be able to drive that LCD, hence the new driver.

For the reasons you give I doubt that this configuration will be used in any new designs, but it is an interesting exercise. Note that in terms of a PCB layout the majority of the connections are pin to pin under the actual device, so a very simple, neat and compact footprint.

Cheers
    Chris