Menu

vscode gccode code.exe help

Help
2024-03-18
2024-03-26
  • Jim giordano

Jim giordano - 2024-03-18

How does one toggle insert/overtype mode in gccode (now just called code.exe)? The insert key does not work.
    The help says it should, or type ctrl-shift-i, that does not work either.

• AVR

AVR - 2024-03-18

Install the OVERTYPE extension. Dead easy

The insert key issue is known.

If you want to fixed give a thumbs up at this page https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/1012 Only items with lots of the thumbs up get fixed.

Meanwhile, OVERTYPE resolves.

• Jim giordano

Thank you, I appreciate it much.

Okay, I'm number 518. It's been over eight years. I can't imagine what the people designing and maintaining this thing are thinking not fixing such and intrinsic part of every editor ever written.

Last edit: Jim giordano 2024-03-18
        • AVR

AVR - 2024-03-18

Clearly the thumbs up is a good system. Thumbs up set the backlog order. This is not an important feature, so, the Extension resolves.

And, I just hilite the text I want to overtype and type.

• Jim giordano

I have more questions, but I'll just post one at a time so none get lost.

Last edit: Jim giordano 2024-03-18
  • Jim giordano

Jim giordano - 2024-03-24

For my next question, I'd like to tackle the, to me, single most annoying thing about gccode.

Where does the code for the "Toggle line comment" item live? I'd like to make some changes.

• Kato

Kato - 2024-03-26

You trying to do what?

GCode is dependent on \\ as the comment for
      Block comments
      Smart comments
      Folding
      Color coded comments
      Many extensions use \\ not any other comment method
      to name a few things that will get broken

If you want to change the color.. then, that must be in the GCode preferences.

Last edit: Anobium 2024-03-26
  • Jim giordano

Jim giordano - 2024-03-26

If I can do it manually with my finger on the keyboard, I can do it with code. So are you going to tell me where this code lives?

• Anobium

Anobium - 2024-03-26

It is in the settings?. I truly do not know. It could be in the GCB specific extension built by Angel but as this is global setting is could be in the GCode settings.

Changings colors for the Smart comments is documented in the extension. I know this because I asked for that extension to be added to the standard build. The colors can be changed but you would have to change the JSON code to get that to support non \\ comments.

Try F2 key and type comments, and/or settings in GCode ( not the GCBASIC Preferences Editor ).

Regarding the compiler. It now relies on the standard \\, \* etc for comments. There are other Developer specific \\~ comments fields. These do not support the older single quote comment style. But, changing the color will not change any of this.

• Jim giordano

Thank you. Color was done long ago. I'm not going to rant here, so we'll just fix it quietly or stop using it.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2024-03-26

What is the change?

As GCode gets updated, often, with syntax etc etc, and, the underlying editor also gets updates, so I would recommend an extension to make the changes. That way you would click one thing to get specific changes applied.

• Jim giordano

Okay, piece of cake. Wish I'd done it a long time ago.
    edit file "gcblanguage-configuration.json"
    fourth line says:
    "lineComment": "//",
    change the // to '
    save
    restart vscode
    done.

Oh. Don't forget to add this to your list of things to do every time vscode/gccode is updated.

Last edit: Jim giordano 2024-03-26
    • Anobium

Anobium - 2024-03-26

Easy peasy when you find out how.

• Jim giordano

Yup. Too bad it takes hours and hours to find these easy solutions.