16F1XXX temperature indicator

Help
2013-04-05
2013-05-30
  • Peter Stone

Peter Stone - 2013-04-05

Hi All,

I have not posted here previously but have been beavering away in the background with a couple of projects based on GCB running on PICs.

I thought that I should try to share my experiences.

Hugh has been most helpful so far in fixing a number of GCB bugs that I have identified so far.

Has anyone ever tried to use the temperature indicator component within the PIC chip (those that have it)?
    I am using a 16F1847.
    When I attempt to read the appropriate A/D channel (29 decimal) I get a value back that looks like a much higher value than I expect.
    I expect to see a count value that is equivalent to 4 x diode voltage drops from the supply rail (5V being used). So something like 450 (using ADRead10) but I get a value in the 800's.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Peter.

• kent_twt4

kent_twt4 - 2013-04-06

I gave this a go with the PIC12f1822 a while back, and could not get satisfactory results either.  Might work with calibration?  My fix was using the cheap MCP9700.

• Peter Stone

Peter Stone - 2013-04-08

I do not need to know the actual temperature. I was just intending to use the change in values as a crude mechanism to temperature compensate a pressure reading.

My concern was primarily in the ADC values I was getting back from port 29 (which I believe is the correct port). The values seem quite high.