Problem using 7 segment display

Help
2013-01-12
2013-05-30
  • vitesse1508

vitesse1508 - 2013-01-12

Hi all, I've tried hooking up a 3 digit common cathode 7 segment display for a countdown timer project. Having a little troublem getting this working correctly, should I be using some form of driver IC to get this working correctly? Currently using a 16F872 with a 4mhz oscillator.

I can select each of the displays and write a value to each of them separately, so presumably there is some form of driver IC required to be connected for this to work. The display I am using is this (BC56-12EWA): http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/57-0244.pdf

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

• mmotte

mmotte - 2013-01-12

tom,

You don't have to use a driver.  But you need to scan each display often.  Here is an example i tried in 2008 but was not pleased because i was using 6 7-segments and the brightness was not there. Later I did use a driver that took care of all the scanning .

#chip 16F886, 8 
    #config OSC = INTRC_IO

'  Variables 
    #define DisplayCount 6

#define DisplayPortA PORTB 
    #define DisplayPortB PORTB 
    #define DisplayPortC PORTB 
    #define DisplayPortD PORTB 
    #define DisplayPortE PORTB
    #define DisplayPortF PORTB 
    #define DispSelectA Set PORTA.0 off: Set PORTA.1 on: Set PORTA.2 on: Set PORTA.3 on: Set PORTA.4 on: Set PORTA.5 on 
    #define DispSelectB Set PORTA.0 on: Set PORTA.1 off: Set PORTA.2 on: Set PORTA.3 on: Set PORTA.4 on: Set PORTA.5 on 
    #define DispSelectC Set PORTA.0 on: Set PORTA.1 on: Set PORTA.2 off: Set PORTA.3 on: Set PORTA.4 on: Set PORTA.5 on 
    #define DispSelectD Set PORTA.0 on: Set PORTA.1 on: Set PORTA.2 on: Set PORTA.3 off: Set PORTA.4 on: Set PORTA.5 on
    #define DispSelectE Set PORTA.0 on: Set PORTA.1 on: Set PORTA.2 on: Set PORTA.3 on: Set PORTA.4 off: Set PORTA.5 on 
    #define DispSelectF Set PORTA.0 on: Set PORTA.1 on: Set PORTA.2 on: Set PORTA.3 on: Set PORTA.4 on: Set PORTA.5 off

'The last block of constants connects the first 4 pins on PORTA to either ground (off) or Vdd (on). Each constant is a macro which is called when the matching display is about to be written to. It needs to connect all of the cathodes to Vdd, except for the one that is to be used which must be connected to ground.

'Make sure that you call the DisplayValue and/or DisplayChar routines very frequently! GCBASIC doesn't do this automatically.  
    #define inchrs PORTC.3
    #define incmin PORTC.4
    #define incsec PORTC.2
    RTCinit
    'Pin Direction 
    DIR PORTA OUT
    DIR PORTB OUT
    dir inchrs in
    dir incmin in
    dir incsec in

hours =0
    mins =0       
    secs = 5
    dim Message(10)
    Message() = "Hello "
    Mainloop:
    sayhello
    secs =0
    mins =0
    hours =0
    timeloop:
    secs = secs +1 ' Increment seconds
    if  secs < 60 then goto fins  ' yes, done
    secs = 0  'Clear seconds
    mloop:
    mins = mins+1  ' Increment minutes
    if  mins < 60 then goto fins  ' yes, done
    mins = 0   ' clear minutes 
    hloop:
    hours = hours +1 ' Increment hours
    if  hours < 24 then goto fins  ' yes, done
    hours =0 ' Clear hours
    fins: 
        'hour disp
        tens=hours/10
        DisplayValue 6,tens
        ones=hours-tens*10
        Wait 8 ms
        DisplayValue 5,ones
         Wait 8 ms   
        'min disp
        tens=mins/10
        DisplayValue 4,tens
        ones=mins-tens*10
        Wait 8 ms
        DisplayValue 3,ones
        Wait 8 ms
        'sec disp
        tens=secs/10
        DisplayValue 2,tens
        Wait 8 ms
        ones=secs-tens*10
        DisplayValue 1,ones

'AdjustTime
          Wait 8 ms
          if  (inchrs =0) AND (incsec = 1)  then goto hloop
          if  (incmin =0) AND (incsec = 1) then goto mloop
    goto fins

This was stretching scanning to the limit.  3 7-sement did not look too bad.

GL
    mike

• vitesse1508

vitesse1508 - 2013-01-12

Cheers Mike, you are spot on mate. I've altered it to use Timer1 and an interrupt to increment the time value and just had a 10ms delay between writing values to the displays and it works well :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks