Menu

$58K in 2019 using GCB

Moto Geek
2020-04-20
2020-05-22
  • Moto Geek

Moto Geek - 2020-04-20

I wanted to share that I have struggled learning how to program microcontrollers for a long time but have always considered using them to solve problems. Since "falling across" GCB, and all the help from the forum and especially Anobiums tremendous efforts, I can proudly say that my accountant has told me that I supplemented my income by $58k worth of sales just from relatively simple PCB's using PIC Ucontrollers to solve a multitude of problems that my "clients" were willing to pay me for in 2019 (Uncle Sam loves me too).. Among these were a multitude of DMX controllers, a very successful arcade basketball game, triggerable sound controllers, onsite programable prop controllers used in theme parks including bush gardens, epcot and disney, video player controllers and a variety of different variations of "unique" solutions based on client requests. This all started with getting a handle on GCB and then learning how to make PCBs using AutoTrax Dex. If you are not familiar with designing PCBs and having them produced by the multitude of PCB manufacturers in China, do a little research, you will be amazed how cheap these can be had. I made a very long and boring video of how I do this (prior to automating, but got the ball rolling)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4EqdmW2jXY

These sales allowed me to get to the point of creating a small manufactuing facility (in my garage) that now has a Neoden4 pick and place machine and reflow oven to crank out boards at a reasonalbe cost. This was a very long road to travel to get to this point, but one client led to another and another, etc. I am writing this to inspire others that are using GCB to maybe consider expanding the hobby into a source of income. I CAN'T thank the originators of GCB enough, including the forum. This year, sales are have dropped a bit, but considering the corona crisis, I kind of expected that. I do have a full time job (for now) but dream of doing this for a living eventually. Thanks again for this amazing tool! Anobium's current set of how to videos are amazing and I have shared his YouTube link with many others for inspiration to see how easy GCB can make things happen.

Stay safe all!

• Anobium

Anobium - 2020-04-20

A heart warming story!!

Thank you sharing.

And, this is Hugh's project. I just joined in for the ride. But, thamk you!

:-)

• Chris S

Chris S - 2020-05-22

I have to ask, how did you get started with freelancing? Did you advertise? Know someone? etc etc. Its something that's always interested me.

• mkstevo

mkstevo - 2020-04-21

Well done!

I do use GCB for my work, I don't think it has generated as much as that by any stretch, but GCB compiled code is out there in my designs, across the UK.

I am eternally grateful for GCB and extend my gratitude to all involved in maintaining it with additional thanks to those who take the time to 'port' it over to macOS.

• bed

bed - 2020-04-23

Well done! My greatest respect.
    By the way, I just watched your video in fractions. How easy it is with a stencil... I had no idea.
    At the moment I'm doing the PCB in mixed technique, PIC is TSSOP, the rest is through hole :-) I didn't want to change that much, but it would certainly make sense with such small series...

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2020-04-23

Sign up for pickit+ and show appreciation that way..even if you won't use it.

• Moto Geek

Moto Geek - 2020-04-24

Hey Stan, contributed to that effort as it was first starting, and I do really appreciate it. Thanks!

And a giant THANK YOU to Hugh also!!!!!!!

Last edit: Moto Geek 2020-04-24
  • Gert vd Walt

Gert vd Walt - 2020-05-15

Great Cow Basic has allowed me to create very cool and inexpensive educational robots that has allowed my students to enjoy programming and win a competition or two. I do hope to get rich ($$) from educational robotics in the future but for now the ease of use and the ease of teaching basic (as opposed to some spaghetti languages like java and C ) that has my students solving a problem and implementing a solution with ease is payment enough. So I also want to jump on the bandwagon of thanking everyone involved.

• JANIS

JANIS - 2020-05-16

Thanks to the creators and supporters of GCB. It is my first and also the only low level language I have learned. Of course, except for high-level programming languages ​​for industrial PLCs. I'm surprised that many users use GCB for business purposes! I've created a lot of projects, but they're simple, but I've also sold some GCB-based systems. I don't know why, but many programming things are not clear to me, it is difficult to switch between different programming environments and different types of systems - DC and AC drives, PLCs, HMI (Unitronics Unistream, Visilogic, Somachine, Vijeo Designer, Beijer and more), automation, mechanical engineering, and GCB. Java language, C++ ​​and something else.... , I would be difficult to learn it all . I have limited myself to GCB's knowledge of low-level programming languages. Hmm, maybe I need to try to learn something more to understand more in the programming environment? But can't master everything, everything is developing so fast :(