Menu

RE: [gcbasic:discussion] Re: A Release Candidate: Great Cow BASIC v.0.98.00

joe rocci
2017-09-13
2017-09-15
  • Anobium

Anobium - 2017-09-14

Hello Great Cow BASIC fans,

We are about to release v0.98.00 of Great Cow BASIC and a release of Great Cow Graphical BASIC – you can now download and test the release candidate version. We really need your feedback as soon as practical. See below for download.

These are the same instructions to everyone – so, they are generic instruction. There are a lot of people on this email.

Status

THIS IS LIKELY TO BE THE FINAL RELEASE CANDIDATE.

WE ARE ADDING NO MORE FEATURES IN THE RELEASE. WE NOW WANT STABILITY IN THE CODE TO RELEASE.

STILL BE CAREFUL USING FOR PRODUCTION.

THIS IS A RELEASE CANDIDATE AND MAY CONTAIN ERRORS THAT CAUSE ERRANT USER PROGRAM BEHAVIOR.

THIS IS A DISCLAIMER BUT WE DO NOT EXPECT ANY MAJOR ERRORS.

Changes

Take a moment to look at the Release List.txt. Start at the top at record 337 and scroll down to 412. Take your time there a lot of changes.

The Release List.txt file is maintained daily and it will show we have fixed the critical issues found in RC2, RC3 (what I called the ‘disaster release’!) and RC4.

This is huge update. This has taken months to pull together and the last week has been a form of hell - Hugh is doing night shifts. I get to do the day shift. 

Use the software!

Please use in anger. Let us know how you get on. We need feedback. We do not want to release the software with some major issue that we could have found with some user testing. We have extensive automated testing but nothing is better than have people use the software.

Test you existing programs.

You can simply and easily test all your existing programs.

Edit 'TestCompileAllDemos.bat' in your GreatCowBASIC folder. Change the following line to your code folder.

for /R demos\ %%F in (*.%FileType%) do (

To

for /R c:\myprogramfolder\ %%F in (*.%FileType%) do (

If you do this… you have just replaced the work "demos" with "c:\myprogramfolder". Leave the "\" in place. If you run the script it will test all your GCB source files. This is non-intrusive test. It will create a "TEST.LOG" in your GreatCowBASIC folder. Review the log file after completion.

If you run 'TestCompileAllDemos.bat' without editing then we know of the errors in the 'demo' folders. We expect these ‘invalid program’ and some chip errors – please ignore.

Want to Help with the Help?

You can now correct and edit the Help source online. People are doing this and these get included in the release build and the daily build. Go to https://github.com/Anobium/Great-Cow-BASIC-Help to view, you will need to create an account to edit but the process is simple and there are lots of very good guides on YouTube.

Want to correct a Demonstration source file?

You can now correct and edit the demo sources. People are doing this and these get included in the release build and then are available online. Go to https://github.com/Anobium/Great-Cow-BASIC-Demonstration-Sources to view these source demonstration files, again, you will need to create an account to edit.

And, where to obtain?

Install the release to a new folder structure. DO NOT mix and match with any previous release(s). If we have an issue then I need everyone on the same build and the same configuration.

Send me a SourceForge 'personal message' if you have NOT received the RC5 invite email.

Report back to the forum. Title your posting 'v0.98.00 RC4: <your issue="" title="" bla="" bla="">.

There is a known issue within the IDE displaying If-then-else-if-end-if constructs. I have included in the build an alternative IDE LXL file. To enable use of the older LXL file – just rename.

Have fun,

Evan and Hugh

• joe rocci

joe rocci - 2017-09-14

I just loaded a project I did about 2 years ago. It’s comprised of about 10 include code files and compiles to about 13k of object code. No problems and it took all of about 12 secs to build. I’ll have to fire up the older version of GCB and make a comparison.

Built on Windows 10.

Last edit: joe rocci 2017-09-14
  • joe rocci

joe rocci - 2017-09-14

Where is the cabdidate package?

• Anobium

Anobium - 2017-09-14

You wanting the Windows or Linux? I cannot remember your preference.

Send me a personal message, put personal email in the message, and, I will forward the instructions etc.

• bed

bed - 2017-09-14

Linux:
    No Issues

~/GreatCowBasic/Sources$ time ./install.sh build
    Extracting release, version information...

Compiling GCBASIC Version v0.98.00 RC05, released 14/09/2017

FreeBASIC Compiler - Version 1.05.0 (01-31-2016), built for linux-x86_64 (64bit)
    Copyright (C) 2004-2016 The FreeBASIC development team.
    target:       linux-x86_64, x86-64, 64bit
    compiling:    gcbasic.bas -o gcbasic.c (main module)
    compiling C:  gcc -m64 -march=native -S -nostdlib -nostdinc -Wall -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unused-function -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-main -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O0 -fno-strict-aliasing -frounding-math -fno-math-errno -fno-exceptions -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -masm=intel "gcbasic.c" -o "gcbasic.asm"
    assembling:   as --64 --strip-local-absolute "gcbasic.asm" -o "gcbasic.o"
    linking:      ld -m elf_x86_64 -o "gcbasic" -dynamic-linker /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 "/usr/local/bin/../lib/freebasic/linux-x86_64/fbextra.x" -s -L "/usr/local/bin/../lib/freebasic/linux-x86_64" -L "." -L "/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/6" "/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/6/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/crt1.o" "/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/6/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/crti.o" "/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/6/crtbegin.o" "/usr/local/bin/../lib/freebasic/linux-x86_64/fbrt0.o" "gcbasic.o" "-(" -lfb -lncurses -lm -ldl -lpthread -lgcc -lgcc_eh -lc "-)" "/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/6/crtend.o" "/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/6/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/crtn.o" 

Compiled successfully.

real    0m15,922s
    user    0m15,396s
    sys 0m0,316s

In 16 Seconds from Zero to RC5 :-)

• bed

bed - 2017-09-14

Ahh, Debian Stretch, 64Bit System. Compiling my Mini Project behaves as like the RC4.
    So, Guys we have no problem :-)
    THANK YOU all that made this possible!

• joe rocci

joe rocci - 2017-09-14

So, looking through my old code which I used for an initial test and which compiled perfectly under 0.98, it appears that Select Case DOES support strings for the Case elements.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2017-09-15

@Joe. It would be good if you can study the Select-Case usage. I have updated the Help but if you have more use cases that we can included in the Help then any update would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

• joe rocci

joe rocci - 2017-09-15

I’d be happy to do that, but I don’t have any board at hand to download to. Is there any way to test compiled code in a virtual way?

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 2:36 AM
        To: [gcbasic:discussion]
        Subject: [gcbasic:discussion] RE: [gcbasic:discussion] Re: A Release Candidate: Great Cow BASIC v.0.98.00

@Joe. It would be good if you can study the Select-Case usage. I have updated the Help but if you have more use cases that we can included in the Help then any update would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

RE: [gcbasic:discussion] Re: A Release Candidate: Great Cow BASIC
        v.0.98.00

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/gcbasic/discussion/579125/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• joe rocci

joe rocci - 2017-09-15

The first time I attempted to load and compile a GCB project, all worked fine. Then I closed all open files , exited the IDE and attempted to restart it. I now always get this crash mode when I attempt to start the IDE:

SynWrite
        Access violation at address 00560230 in module ‘sys.exe’. Read of address 000000A4.

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 2:36 AM
        Subject: [gcbasic:discussion] RE: [gcbasic:discussion] Re: A Release Candidate: Great Cow BASIC v.0.98.00

Cheers.

v.0.98.00

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/gcbasic/discussion/579125/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Chris Roper

Chris Roper - 2017-09-15

I installed it this morning and have been compiling fine.
          As a test I exited as you did and restarted IDE.exe from my install folder and it ran fine.
          It didn't reopen my files for some reason, but they were available in my recent files tab and opened fine and recompiles with no problem.

edit: spelling

Last edit: Chris Roper 2017-09-15
          • joe rocci

joe rocci - 2017-09-15

BTW, after throwing up the error msg, it does load the IDE, with the last-used set of files open.

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 8:26 AM

I installed it this morning and have been compiling fine.
            As a test I exited as you did and restarted IDE.exe from my install folder and it ran fine.
            It didn't repoen my files for some reason, but they were avalable in my reacent files tab and opend fine.

v.0.98.00

• Anobium

Anobium - 2017-09-15

IDE (or SynWrite) errors are not within our gift to sort. Pop over to the SynWrite forum if things are really bad.

A few pointters.
    There has been no change to the IDE in this release in terms of the IDE application.
    The IDE GCB Helpers have been updated

My experience
    No AB-ENDS or crashes upon start-up
    The IDE Is reliable and is fully integrated into the IDE Helpers and the GCB Help system.

Things to check - I know this list because of the posting to this forum.
    Running Windows XP? Ummmm
    Running in Wine or another Windows emulator?
    Running very hi-res screen resolution?
    Running very small fonts?
    Running some oki-coki virus checker?
    Does it crash only once upon exiting during the install process? Then, dont worry.
    * Does it crash only once? Don't worry to much

I dont have answers, and we cannot fix the IDE application as we just use this as the presentation layer.

:-)

• joe rocci

joe rocci - 2017-09-15

FYI
      I reloaded the default syn.ini file and all seems OK now.

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 9:22 AM

IDE (or SynWrite) errors are not within our gift to sort. Pop over to the SynWrite forum if things are really bad.

A few pointters.
      There has been no change to the IDE in this release in terms of the IDE application.
      The IDE GCB Helpers have been updated

My experience
      No AB-ENDS or crashes upon start-up
      The IDE Is reliable and is fully integrated into the IDE Helpers and the GCB Help system.

Things to check - I know this list because of the posting to this forum.
      Running Windows XP? Ummmm
      Running in Wine or another Windows emulator?
      Running very hi-res screen resolution?
      Running very small fonts?
      Running some oki-coki virus checker?
      Does it crash only once upon exiting during the install process? Then, dont worry.
      * Does it crash only once? Don't worry to much

I dont have answers, and we cannot fix the IDE application as we just use this as the presentation layer.

:-)

v.0.98.00