How to use large data sets?

Randy
2013-12-31
2014-01-01
  • Randy

Randy - 2013-12-31

I need to make a font for my project. It uses a lot of data. GCBasic limits array size to 80 and table size to 254. Is there a way to make a bigger data block?

The LCD that I ordered does not have built in support for characters...

Last edit: Randy 2013-12-31
  • Anobium

Anobium - 2013-12-31

Hi and welcome.

The limitations are the current limitations.

You can write large dataset to EEPROM. This has limitations also - how big a dataset do you need?

What is the LCD device? Chip selected? This may help others determine the best way forward. Or, someone may have been this route already with a different strategy.

I have a method of writing a large number of tables to EEPROM. This may be a way forward.

Post as much info as you can to help us.

Anobium

• Randy

Randy - 2013-12-31

Well I'm using a 18F4550 and found this LCD for cheap on Ebay;
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141109430611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It uses a HX8353 chip. The video is basically 128x160x18. So I have to make up my own characters and write them pixel by pixel.

I have found some code that uses multiple tables but that's not very simple and elegant.
    EEROM on this chip is only 256 bytes (I think). We have 16K of flash so inline data should work. All the lines and lines of single bytes for the data seems wasteful...

8x8 by 128 characters = 8K!

Last edit: Randy 2013-12-31
  • Anobium

Anobium - 2014-01-01

OK. I built a solution using an alternative micro processor a few years ago that should be port compatible the Nokia 5110/3310 LCD Display port in your device.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62-hmyfX2Yk, If this is what you are trying to achieve then we can port the font set and code across to GCB, and, I can test at my end using the pic18f14k22 device (that is the only pic18 device I have). Looking the video today... its so slow but I was 2mhz device... we may be able to speed this up!

Let me know if this is what you are trying to do.

• Randy

Randy - 2014-01-01

Yes I would be interested in seeing how you coded that!

My 18F4550 is running at 48 mhz so should be a little faster...

• Anobium

Anobium - 2014-01-01

Pop me a personal email (to exchange email addresses) then I can send the old code. I just look at the code and it made me smile.... the methods were limited by the compiler but I got it working!

We can work offline to get you going.

Anobium

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks