Menu

How do I use PicKit4?

Mike Webb
2023-02-22
2023-02-22
  • Mike Webb

Mike Webb - 2023-02-22

I've search everywhere to find this out. I'm an old user of MPLAB/X (C programmer) and have a PicKit4.
    I've installed GC basic but can't find how to setup PK4.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• kent_twt4

kent_twt4 - 2023-02-22

You can just import the hex file from you GCB file folder, right from MPLABX.
    Also can download or use the MPLABX IDE app for a slimmed down version, but more detailed information?
    You can program your AVRs this way also.

• William Roth

William Roth - 2023-02-22

If you want to program from within the GCBasic (GCStudio) IDE. You can open EDIT Programmer Preferences then drag "MPLAB-IPE PK4 CLI for PIC 5v0" up to the active area.

You will probably want to drag the others down if you are not going to use them.

You can then edit "MPLAB-IPE PK4 CLI for PIC 5v0".

It is currently set so that the PK4 powers the PIC/Breadboard at 5V. You may want to change this.
    This uses "ipecmd.exe from MPLABX. You will need to install the latest version of MPLAB IPE in order for this to work on all chips. (Ver 6.05)/ MPLABX include a help file for IPECMD that show the command line switches for IPECMD.

You can also Program from the IPE Graphical User Interface. Create the hex in GCB then import the hex and load. Dont forget to "release from reset" to run the program.

The Pickit4 cannot supply very much current without issues, so I would recommend that you use an external power source instead of the PK4 to power a breadboard. This can be configured in the IPE command line or GUI

William