Menu

pic programming (too easy?)

2018-10-22
2018-11-02
  • stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-10-22

I started using a glcd today and wanted to use incircuit programming but on breadboard.
    If you look up the circuit it's usually a cap,resistors and a diode or more but I just used clock,data,gnd and vpp from pickit2 and flashed hex file while pic running off 3.3V ok.
    All new to me. It's repeatable. Is it ok? seems too easy,should there be extra components?
    https://youtu.be/0im08fLv-ys

• Moto Geek

Moto Geek - 2018-10-22

You're not complaining, are you? Anobium and Hugh and lots of others have done an amazing job, once I got my head wrapped around it, it does seem easy!! Thanks to all!

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-10-22

Er...see my first programmer. I thought you needed stuff to program pics. Pickit2, and 3 are new to me.
    How do YOU program pics? Unlike arduino or microchip dev boards where you just stick a usb lead in.there's options...and tech stuff...nothing is this easy.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pic+icsp+circuit+diagram&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB814GB814&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=2ahUKEwjc4ImbiZveAhULAcAKHUTRCBgQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1280&bih=636

Last edit: stan cartwright 2018-10-22
    • Chuck Hellebuyck

That's because that was a parallel port programmer. PICkit only needs 5 connections as you found out. Very simple.

• stan cartwright

stan cartwright - 2018-10-23

Found out..?? not really. And 4 connections .. no vdd connected. GCB got complicated with pickit2/3 plus and now I don't have a clue.
        I used to be able to program a pic with pickit2 from the gcb ide but now get -1 error.
        it's too complicated for me so I use arduino boards. I only used a pic cos it ran off 3,3V sort of easily.

Last edit: stan cartwright 2018-10-23
  • Clint Koehn

Clint Koehn - 2018-11-02

stan,
    Your -1 error was the result of not having your vdd connected.
    You need the MCLR, VDD, VSS, DATA, CLOCK lines connected. It works like a charm. I much prefer CGBASIC over Arduino for both ease of programming and speed. The newer chips require that you purchase the Pickit 2+ from Evan.

Later,
    Clint