Proposing a second (?) garnet-user list

Sean Champ
2005-07-30
2012-12-05
  • Sean Champ

Sean Champ - 2005-07-30

In summary: I thought it might be suggested that a garnet-user list would be started under the garnetlisp SourceForge project.

In explanation:

I saw the garnet-user mailing list, mentioned on the CMU main page for Garnet.

I've tried to subscribe to the garnet-user mailing list (recently - was subscribed to it, before) but I haven't seen any response from the garnet-user-request address, for the CMU garnet-user list, tonight.

Looking at the GMane gmane.lisp.garnet.user group, the most recent message in the group is dated from November, 2004. While that might be a coincidence, together with the non-responsive garnet-user-request address, yet I'm guessing that it might  be an indicative coincidence.

So, my first question: Is the garnet-user list at CMU still operable?

My second question: If it is not, then would there be a possibility that a garnet-user list would be added to the garnetlisp project, hosted here at Sourceforge?

If a "new" garnet-user list would be started, I would suggest that the list may be regarded as being for:

1) Discussing the forms and applications of the components of Garnet

2) Discussing any viably possible and previous revisions upon the Garnet codebase

3) Discussing  Garnet-related projects

4) Perhaps, discussing concepts that are represented within the components that constitute the Garnet codebase

In else: I'd like to suggest some more particular matters, directly contingent about Garnet (e.g. integrating aggretrees.lisp and mult-garnet) but I do not intend to stock this message with any by-far tangential expressions, as about such.

Thank you.

• Robert P. Goldman

I don't believe that the list at CMU is still operational.  But I don't know; I don't have any connection to CMU.

Question, though --- is there any reason we need a new list, rather than just using this forum?  Is it because you want something bridged to usenet and google-groups?

Cheers,
      R

• Sean Champ

Sean Champ - 2005-08-13

Well, a mailing list should be easier to keep up with, and easier to respond via, rather than a solely HTTP-operated forum.

Though it is receiving very little traffic, it looks like the garnet-user list is still live, however. Apparently, the operations of the list require some  human intervention for completing a sign-up request for it. Still, it can be signed-up to and joined via gmane.

Regardless, If I have a patch to show, I'll put it somewhere in the sf.net tracker for garnetlisp, sometime when.

If discussion, I'm generally not willing to drag along with a web-browser for it. Though an HTTP forum does continue to be viable  as a medium for communication,  yet these little tiny text forms are tedious to work with; and  HTML that they are wrapped in may seem excessive, for carrying a thing so simple as a text/plain message.

I'll put a note it in the tracker, here, if there's any patches I'll have made. For any discussion, I'll keep an ear on.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks