Menu

MBR Backup and CIFS BACKUP

2009-04-10
2012-09-10
  • Michael Setzer II

The previous message on adding an MBR backup option to the Network menu, and recently some information on the busybox list has resulted in being able to do a backup to and CIFS mount in addition to the sshfs backup on the local menu.

Using the bz29.1 kernel only (CIFS support not in other kernel builds). I was able to use the Z: option on the local menu to do a mount.
    mount -t cifs //192.168.7.168/share1 /mnt/local -o user=user

I had created a share on that machine with the name share1 as a rw.
    The mount worked using the IP address of the machine, but hopefully names might also work. I did a backup of the boot partition as a quick test and it worked, then did an ntfsclone backup of the XP partition. It took about twice the time as the FTP backup, but that might have to do with this machine being connected thru a hub and using half duplex. So, not clear how much slower it would actually be.

ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/g4l-v0.30alpha36.iso

Is the image that has the updated bz29.1 kernel with the support, any earlier alphas don't have the cifs support, so the mount fails.

Will probable just modify the Z: option on local menu to show support for both the sshfs and the cifs. This also contains the release 3.74 version of syslinux.

Probable realease v0.30 in the short future.

If people could check if this works with they setups. Note: didn't include the pass option, since our MIS department has classroom XP machines setup with user id and no password, but the ,password= could be added, or it prompts for one.

thanks.

• Michael Setzer II

Yes, I just copied the section and made the changes from using ncftp to upload the file to just putting it into the /mnt/local directory. I also want to add the option to do the backup of the EBR stuff as well, and I think I'm going to use the option to copy all the sectors on the track rather than just the first one.I ran the script on my Dell server, and some of the sectors were not empty? So not sure if it was randome data or what. Most of the etra sectors were nulls, since I generally null wipe disks.

The extra sectors only added about 10K to the compressed size, and if restoring to a new or drive to be restored, should not hurt anything.

• miraaz

miraaz - 2009-04-13

Hi msetzerii

Sorry i not haved time for test new betas but i want give more ideas how make G4L v3.0 better.
      1. Please clear CD root directory. I mean move all kernels and files away from root. Example move them in g4l sub-folder. That is important when people wants make multibuut USB and no want tons of files in usb root (multiboot CD also).

1. Please remove /dev/hda; /dev/sda.... when making ntfsclone actions. I think you understand what i mean ;). /dev/hdaX is good for ntfsclone not /dev/hda.

2. Make new folder name /g4l/scripts in CD root and if people put there g4l30X file then G4L using that instead of default g4l30X file what located in G4L directory (look 1.). Or ma by move g4l30x and others g4l scripts out of ramdisk at all!?

What you think?

• Michael Setzer II

Couple of Issues.
      On 1.
      The only files that would be needed is the kernel and ramdisk.gz, which would make it bring up the g4l structure totally separate from anything else on the USB or cd. I have done this on my systems via the grub menu, and on windows via the grub4dos.

I currently have a file called g4l-win.exe, and it is a 7z sfx file that only contains the latest kernel and ramdisk.gz plus grub4dos and some info on setting it up. I am thinking of renaming it g4l-lite.exe, since it could be used to add to grub or other boot loaders the kernel and filesystem (ramdisk.gz).

I also had a file that is outdated that could add g4l to other live cds, but it required the livecds to have the necessary support programs and had all the support programs compiled statically. Worked on Knoppix before, but the version of Knoppix didn't have the correct libraries to work with the newer programs. Finnix did work. Haven't checked the new Knoppix.

1. I actually tried this some time ago, and it was an easy process to filter out the lines and worked on my regular machines, but then I tried it on my DELL NT server, and got nothing listed. Turns out that it doesn't include NTFS in the partition info. If I recall, it came up with SFS as the partition listing. Would have to come up with a way to make sure that it would include only NTFS or compatible Partitions, but has to get all of them.

2. This could be done. I have already put links to the scripts in the bin directory, so one doesn't have to put the ./g4l in. With the add on file mentioned above, it would include the script, and add the current directory to the path. One thing that would need to be updated is that the dhcp shell is hard coded to be in the root, but that would just be scanning all the scripts.

Thanks again for the info.

P.S. There is an alpha38 that has an added Y: cifs option to the local menu to handle the cifs option. The method works in my lab, but once before I had a setup that worked in my lab, but didn't seem to work in another location.

• miraaz

miraaz - 2009-04-14
      1. I not tryd clean ISO image but i cleaned when made multiboot USB. Moved all staff (kernels etc separate directory called g4l and edited syslinux.cfg. I think same simple way is possible clean up also files in cd move all staff in g4l directory and edit isolinux.cfg

2. Is i understand right you can not filter out disks for NTFSCLONE? But how you filtered out partitions when using MBRCLONE? MBRCLONE not needs listing partitions (hda1; sda1...) and for NTFSCLONE not needed listing disks (hda; sda...)

3. I think you not understanded me. I try explain
        cd structure:

directories:
      /g4l/(kernels; ramdisk ...)
      /g4l/scripts/g4l (g4l30k) <- not inside ramdisk

g4l30k scripts is two.
      One is original script and second what is in /g4l/scripts/ is for users hacking.
      g4l is not simple link what points to g4l30k but script what looks if inside directory /g4l/scripts/ have file "g4l" then it runs that scipt if there not file "g4l" then it using original g4l30k script what is inside ramdisk.
      How do that?

mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

if [ /mnt/cdrom/g4l/scripts/g4l ] ; then \ {
      sh /mnt/cdrom/g4l/scripts/g4l ;
      }

OR make intg4l
      I mean like we already have "exg4l" we can use for put custom script in ftp, now we can put also custom script in CD (usb).
      exg4l - "external g4l"
      intg4l - "internal g4l" points to /mnt/cdrom/g4l/scripts/g4l

What is point?
      Users not need hack devel if they wants use customized own made script insted original script.

Is that work that way?

• Michael Setzer II

I'm still not getting what you are trying to do.
      With Option 1.

If you have an existing bootable device, and want to add g4l as an option.
      a. copy bz29.1 and ramdisk.gz to syslinux directory, can rename if you want.
      b. Add the following lines to the config file.

LABEL bz29.1
      MENU LABEL ^K: bz29.1 386 build 04-02-2009
      KERNEL bz29.1
      APPEND initrd=ramdisk.gz ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0

That would then add g4l as an option. Nothing further would need to be done.

With the second option, I get the information from the /proc/partitions, and then get more data from fdisk about the partitions types. fdisk doesn't include info on the disk, so my code puts a fixed value that can be filtered easily. With the Windows partitions the type comes from the fdisk, and as I mentioned it is not a fixed value that can be filtered. If they all had NTFS, a simple grep NTFS would work. If you do an fdisk command, you can get a listing of all the partition types.

The other scripts are for people that don't have the ability to modify the CD image. Individuals can use the CD, but also have the power of putting modified scripts on there ftp server to make things easier. I do this myself with scripts that automatically create options to feed the g4l script to include the date as part of the image name.

In some ways, it would seem to be better if you downloaded the development kit rather than the iso, and that gives you access to everything without have to go thru the mounting process.

• miraaz

miraaz - 2009-04-14
      1. Ok i put here my menu then you understand.
        That is syslinux.cfg

---------------------------------- /syslinux.cfg -------------------------------------

DEFAULT /menu/vesamenu.c32
      F1 /help/change
      PROMPT 0

TIMEOUT 200

ONTIMEOUT normal

MENU TABMSG My company Boot-USB v3 RC1

MENU BACKGROUND /menu/splashpm.png
      MENU TITLE My company BootCD-USB Boot valik

LABEL pmagic37
      MENU LABEL ^1. Parted Magic 3.7
      TEXT HELP
      version: 3.7, (C) 2007, Patrick Verner
      http://www.partedmagic.com
      * Disclaimer: Author ei vastuta selle tarkvara kasutamise eest.
      ENDTEXT
      KERNEL /menu/pmagic/vesamenu.c32
      APPEND /menu/pmagic/syslinux.cfg

LABEL gparted
      MENU LABEL ^2. Gparted 4.1-2
      TEXT HELP
      * version: 4.1-2
      FS: 2636;
      ENDTEXT
      KERNEL /menu/gparted/vesamenu.c32
      APPEND /menu/gparted/syslinux.cfg

LABEL g4l-0.29
      TEXT HELP
      * G4l versioon 0.29
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^3. G4l 0.29
      KERNEL /menu/g4l/vesamenu.c32
      APPEND /menu/g4l/syslinux.cfg

LABEL puppy
      TEXT HELP
      * Puppy Linux v 4.1.2
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^4. Puppy Linux v 4.1.2
      KERNEL /puppy412/vmlinuz
      APPEND default initrd=/puppy412/initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy nosmp psubdir=puppy412

LABEL memtest86+
      MENU LABEL ^5. Memtest86+ v.2.1.1
      TEXT HELP
      Kontrolli RAM vigu.
      ENDTEXT
      KERNEL /utils/memtest

LABEL reboot
      MENU LABEL ^6. Reboot
      TEXT HELP
      Arvutile Restart.
      ENDTEXT
      KERNEL /utils/reboot.c32

LABEL Changelog
      MENU LABEL ^M: Mida uut sisaldab
      KERNEL /menu/cat.c32
      APPEND /help/new

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------- /menu/g4l/syslinux.cfg---------------------------------

DEFAULT /menu/g4l/vesamenu.c32
      Prompt 0
      menu color screen 37;40 #80ffffff #00000000
      menu color border 30;44 #40000000 #00000000
      menu color title 1;33;44 #c0fdd017 #00000000
      menu color unsel 37;44 #90ffffff #00000000
      menu color hotkey 1;37;44 #ffffffff #00000000
      menu color sel 7;37;40 #e0000000 #20ff8000
      menu color hotsel 1;7;37;40 #e0400000 #20ff8000
      menu color scrollbar 30;44 #40000000 #00000000
      menu color tabmsg 31;40 #90ffff00 #00000000
      menu color cmdmark 1;36;40 #c000ffff #00000000
      menu color cmdline 37;40 #c0ffffff #00000000
      menu color pwdborder 30;47 #80ffffff #20ffffff
      menu color pwdheader 31;47 #80ff8080 #20ffffff
      menu color pwdentry 30;47 #80ffffff #20ffffff
      menu color timeout_msg 37;40 #80ffffff #00000000
      menu color timeout 1;37;40 #c0ffffff #00000000

Menu TITLE G4L boot Menu - version 0.29
      MENU BACKGROUND /menu/g4l/splashpm.png
      MENU ROWS 15
      MENU TABMSGROW 22
      MENU CMDLINEROW 22
      MENU ENDROW 24

LABEL bz20.4
      TEXT HELP
      Press TAB for change boot parameters.
      Press ESC for back to the menu
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^A: bz20.4 386 build 2.6.20.1 RELEASED 02-21-2007
      KERNEL /g4l/bz20.4
      APPEND initrd=/g4l/ramdisk.gz ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 noacpi

LABEL bz21.6
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^B: bz21.6 386 build 2.6.21.6 RELEASED 07-04-2007
      KERNEL /g4l/bz21.6

LABEL bz22.6
      TEXT HELP
      Press ESC for back to the menue
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^C: bz22.6 386 build 2.6.22.6 RELEASED 08-31-2007
      KERNEL /g4l/bz22.6

LABEL bz23.14
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^D: bz23.14 386 build 2.6.23.1 RELEASED 01-14-2008
      KERNEL /g4l/bz23.14

LABEL bz24.4
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^E: bz24.4 386 build 2.6.24.4 RELEASED 03-24-2008
      KERNEL /g4l/bz24.4

LABEL bz25.10
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^F: bz25.10 386 build 07-03-2008
      KERNEL /g4l/bz25.10

LABEL bz26.6
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^G: bz26.6 386 build 10-09-2008
      KERNEL /g4l/bz26.6

LABEL bz27.10
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^H: bz27.10 386 build 12-18-2008
      KERNEL /g4l/bz27.10

LABEL bz28.3
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^I: bz28.3 386 build 02-02-2009
      KERNEL /g4l/bz28.3

LABEL bz28.4
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU DEFAULT
      MENU LABEL ^J: bz28.4 386 build 02-06-2009
      KERNEL /g4l/bz28.4

LABEL bz29.git
      TEXT HELP
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^L: bz29.git 386 build 02-07-2009
      KERNEL /g4l/bz29.git

LABEL back
      TEXT HELP
      Go back previous menu.
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^Z: Go back
      KERNEL /menu/vesamenu.c32
      APPEND /syslinux.cfg

TIMEOUT 600
      ONTIMEOUT bz28.4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now in my usb root is folders:
      g4l
      help
      live
      menu
      pmagic
      puppy412
      utils

and files:
      ldlinux.sys
      syslinux.cfg
      usbflash

And that is all!

So like you see i not have in USB root blank6.cpp;.... ;million and one kernel; test.png;...... All that moved inside g4l folder.
      Like you notice result is very clean USB root directory. But if i mount g4l ISO then i see million and 1 files there. Why not make folder g4l like i made and move all files inside g4l folder? Imagine if partedmagic; puppy; .... puts also his files in CD root then we have total mess in CD root. No one understands what files what software belongs.

_With the second option, I get the information from the /proc/partitions, and then get more data from fdisk about the partitions types. fdisk doesn't include info on the disk, so my code puts a fixed value that can be filtered easily. With the Windows partitions the type comes from the fdisk, and as I mentioned it is not a fixed value that can be filtered. If they all had NTFS, a simple grep NTFS would work. If you do an fdisk command, you can get a listing of all the partition types. _

I want filter out discs not detect partition types. We can not make ntfsclone from /dev/sda right? why list that then? Also we can not restore ntfsclone image to /dev/sda right? Lets filter them out then. Please no try detect partition types! If we use mbrclone then that makes broblems. Filter out psychical disks when used ntfsclone and thats all. Yes listing of all the partition types is fine. /dev/sda is psychical disk and we filter that out when using ntfs. /dev/sda1 is partition and we listing that whatever type it be.
      If we using dd then we can clone whole psychical disk or separate partitions but if we using NTFS then we can not clone psychical disk but we can clone partition.

In some ways, it would seem to be better if you downloaded the development kit rather than the iso, and that gives you access to everything without have to go thru the mounting process.

Notice parted Magic includes g4l :)
      Please look http://partedmagic.com/
      and
      http://beefdrapes.partedmagic.com/modules/
      Clever isnt it?
      if i put g4l29.7z in /pmagic/pmodules folder then it replaces original g4l files and i have up to date g4l there :). I not need hack ramdisc himself when i want update software or install programms. I build files directories structure what i want update or install then i put them in usb /pmagic/pmodules directory and when Parted Magic boots then it "installing" them automatically. If i want "uninstall" then i delete *.7z file and finito :).
      Super isnt it!?
      Why not use same idea?

• Michael Setzer II

Not sure why you are putting the whole g4l menu with all the kernels.

On your /syslinux.cfg you could just change it from

LABEL g4l-0.29
      TEXT HELP
      * G4l versioon 0.29
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^3. G4l 0.29
      KERNEL /menu/g4l/vesamenu.c32
      APPEND /menu/g4l/syslinux.cfg

To

LABEL g4l-0.29
      TEXT HELP
      * G4l versioon 0.29
      ENDTEXT
      MENU LABEL ^3. G4l 0.29
      KERNEL /g4l/bz29.git

That way all you need only need the 1 kernel file and the ramdisk.gz.
      That way you could update the system by just copying those two files, since you don't need the other stuff anyway. As I see it that gives you the g4l without all the other stuff.

Concerning the second options, I could easily filter out the Disk lines, but that would then leave any other partitions listed, which would include linux and other partitions that can not be used with ntfsclone as well. In doing a look at fdisk and the partitions types, there are a number with NTFS in them, but also the SFS that my dell server shows. Don't know if those are the only ones that can be ntfs or if others may be as well.

If I have the information, I could do the filtering like with the MBR, but don't want to have it not list something that might be a NTFS partition.

Finally, I have seen some systems add g4l, and that is fine.
      RIPLinux has it and some others. I haven't check if all the options work.
      Additionally, I have made a archive file that contains the g4l script and programs that are not included in some distros. For example. Finnix was a live CD that had the updated libraries that g4l uses.
      With the finnix, one could boot from the cd, and then just download.
      ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/finnix.gz
      and extract it.

It has the g4l script and files from 9/06/2008.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 126325 2008-09-06 10:45 aespipe
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5294 2008-09-06 10:39 bicode.o3
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 80939 2008-09-06 10:38 g4l
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7047 2008-09-06 10:39 jetcat-mod
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 65128 2008-09-06 10:38 lzop
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 274760 2008-09-06 10:40 ncftp
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 176304 2008-09-06 10:40 ncftpbatch
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 128148 2008-09-06 10:40 ncftpbookmarks
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 169548 2008-09-06 10:40 ncftpget
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 143276 2008-09-06 10:40 ncftpls
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 172044 2008-09-06 10:40 ncftpput
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 176304 2008-09-06 10:40 ncftpspooler
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 165921 2008-09-06 10:45 sshfs
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 44244 2008-09-06 10:39 udp-receiver
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 48864 2008-09-06 10:39 udp-sender

The other programs were already included on the Finnix.
      That is less that 800K.

The older one used for Knoppix with Statically compiled programs was
      ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/files5.gz
      That is over 4MB.

Again, I haven't check all the distros to see if everything works with the script.

I'll have to check out the partimage and see if they just copied the script, or made changes...

• miraaz

miraaz - 2009-04-14

That way all you need only need the 1 kernel file and the ramdisk.gz.
      That way you could update the system by just copying those two files, since you don't need the other stuff anyway.

No i need all kerners! I have here all notebooks all brands and you think only one kernel can boot all of them!?
      example Lenovo s10e needs oldest kernel (bz20.4) because image making process breaks when using newer kernels some reason (network disconnects somewhere 0.25% progress and so on)

__As I see it that gives you the g4l without all the other stuff._

Yes that i exactly want. If i want i boot g4l, if i want i boot puppy, if i need i boot gparted.... I can but there whatever usb boot ready software.

On your /syslinux.cfg you could just change it from...

No! Notice i made multiboot USB and one syslinux.cfg is a main menu what points ather syslinux.cfg-s where different software (g4l; puppy...) menus. Not smart put them all together in one syslinux.cfg making overload and mix all the software in menu.

Concerning the second options, please not try filter partitions!!! I see you already got point why not. But filter out DISCS and listen ALL PARTITIONS. In mbr case you filtered out all partitions and listed all discs. In ntfsclone need to same but backwards.
      Now if i look ntfsclone destinations i see:

/dev/sda
      /dev/sda1
      /dev/sda2
      /dev/sda3

What the h**k doing /dev/sda there!? /dev/sda is 100% out of possibility put NTFS image there lol.
      If we see listing :

/dev/sda1
      /dev/sda2
      /dev/sda3

already bhetter :).

Finally, I have seen some systems add g4l, and that is fine.
      I pointed you how easy is update parted magic and how easy is add there functionality and how hard is to that with G4L
      Yes i know network scripts what included already G4L and that very cool and i using that also but imagine if user not have ftp server or if hi not need (wants) using it. Where user puts his customized g4l script then? Hi all the time wasting time remastering iso. Productivity is extremely slow. Thats why i thinked cool if users have easy acessible place where put customized g4l scripts.

• Michael Setzer II

Well, it is 2:26am, and I am uploading g4l-v0.30alpha39.iso to my server with a new g4l30l script. I had already added the MBR code to the local menu, but was able to add 4 lines to the one function to come up with a list that only includes partitions without the disk, but it includes all partitions. On my systems it just eliminates the one line, but only 1 of the 5 listed partitions is a ntfsclone partition.

Created a new variable
      partonly="";

Have it add those lines that are not type disk.
      if [ "$xxtype" != "DISK" ] ; then
      partonly="$partonly printf &quot;%s %s%s--%s off&quot; $xxdev $pad $xxsize $xxtype";
      fi

In the older script it uses $partlist, which has disk and partitions. Now on the ntfsclone back and restore options it use the partonly varioable, and also for the local partition to use for backups.

$partonly 2&gt; $tempfilenetback
                  $partlist 2&gt; $tempfilenetback

It may be for you that it will only list partitions that work with ntfsclone.

My upload speed is only 50KB, so it takes about 40 minutes to upload the iso and dev files, so it may not be available till tomorrow, since I have to copy the files to the /var/ftp directory. Will copy the script as well.

• miraaz

miraaz - 2009-04-14

Created a new variable
      partonly="";

Thank you msetzerii. That is what i meaned :)

1. For clean CD root
        I think if we create in devel kit inside /bootcd/isolinux new folder /bootcd/isolinux/g4l and muve all files what inside /bootcd/isolinux/ to /bootcd/isolinux/g4l directory we get clean CD root?
        mkdir /bootcd/isolinux/g4l
        mv /bootcd/isolinux/
        /bootcd/isolinux/g4l/
        Now we fix isolinux.cfg and syslinux.cfg

If we now mount iso then we see in /mnt/cdrom only one folder g4l and we have clean cd root directory.

1. For place user local script
        Now we make more new folder.
        mkdir /bootcd/isolinux/g4l/scripts
        Next we make new file /bootcd/rootfs/intg4l
        Inside is:

!/bin/sh

mkdir /mnt/cdrom
      mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
      sh /mnt/cdrom/g4l/scripts/g4l

Next making symlink intg4l in /bin folder

Mission compleated :).

• miraaz

miraaz - 2009-04-16

In g4l30l
      I see you use that twice:

$DIALOG --colors --pause "\Zb\Z1Note: \ZuThis only copyies the 512 byte boot sector\n\ and the Physical Partition Table.\nIt doesn't include the logical Partitions.\n\ Those are stored in EBR.\nIf you have Logical Partitions, Please do a Disk Backup." 15 70 10

I think put it in function then?