I can't download.

Help
nj91732
2004-10-11
2013-04-03
  • nj91732

nj91732 - 2004-10-11

The error message come up like this:

[Error] - Response file C:\Documents and Settings\nj91732\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2BQV6PST\A%20Goofy%20Movie-avi(1)[1].torrent contains invalid data

[General] - Trying to load from file C:\Documents and Settings\nj91732\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\2BQV6PST\A%20Goofy%20Movie-avi(1)[1].torrent

Please Help!!

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2004-10-11

Hi nj91732,

It looks like the website you are downloading from is using 'referer checking' - a method that trys to stop people linking to their torrents.  You can check this by opening the torrent file in notepad... if it is a html file then this is what the site is doing.

To fix this you just need to download the torrent to your harddrive and then add them the normal way into g3.

One very popular site that has started doing this recently is suprnova.org.

Anyways hope that helped.

-d0c

• nj91732

nj91732 - 2004-10-12

Thankx dOc

Yeh,that's the website that I've tried.
      I'm kinna new for these stuffs. Can describe more details how to do it.

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2004-10-12

Hi nj91732,

You want more information? OK.  I guess I'll do a general one for anyone looking for similar help.

These instructions are only if you are having trouble with loading torrents (especially with sites that check for referers):

Click on the link in suprnova (if that is the site you say you are using) and, when you are prompted, tell it to save the torrent file to your harddrive. NOTE: Don't right-click on the file and select 'save as' - this will make suprnova return a html error file instead.  Once saved double click on the torrent to load it into g3, or open g3 and select 'add torrent' from the file menu.

My settings:
      I have set '.torrent metafiles get stored here' to point to a temporary torrents directory so that when I load a file directly from the internet it first saves it to that folder before downloading.  This eliminates the problem of torrents going missing when I restart g3 after my internet cache has been cleared.

Problems:
      If your browser loads the torrent file straight into g3 without prompting you to save you will have to go into the '.torrent' file properties and make sure the 'Confirm open after download' option has a tick in the checkbox next to it. 
      How to do this:
      To find this setting open an explorer window and then from the menu bar select 'Tools'->'Folder Options' then the 'File Types' tab. 
      Then look in the 'Registered file types' list for .TORRENT (might show up as 'TOR...'), select it, click the 'Advanced' button. 
      You should then be able to see the 'Confirm open after download' checkbox - change it accordingly.

I'm pretty sure it's the same for 98/ME etc. (more or less)

Anyways I gotta run.

-d0c

• nj91732

nj91732 - 2004-10-12

There is something not unusual when it prompted.
      There is only cancel buttom that I can press,The others are "open" and "open folder" unhighlighted.
      So I can't follow your instruction. But I've tried to look for a dialog box in internet option that said
      "Always ask before opening this type of file". I thought It could help , I couldn't find one though.
      Right now I'm using WinXP pro SP2. I think it might change something differently.
      I'm so desperate...........
      But Thanks for your help anyway.

nj91732

• nj91732

nj91732 - 2004-10-12

Forget the before message!!!!!!

I'm such an idiot, I hustled to finish without finishing your message.

It works nicely. You're so great.
      Thankssssss -d0c.