Menu

G3 will be banned

rekk
2004-12-05
2013-04-03
  • rekk

rekk - 2004-12-05

It's not that it's a bad client in other ways, but unforetunately people are always tempted to use it as a leech and/or spoof. Most C++ trackers have now banned the client (except for XBT). Anyone allowing this client onto their tracker is just aiding and abetting.

• Apraxhren

Apraxhren - 2004-12-05

I think the man thing being forgotten is a leecher is person, it is not a client. A leecher is a person with the will to leech. Banning the client the use, G3 or not, is not going to affect that persons will. Those people will just switch to a different client. The are not any clients that one can not leech with. There isn't any options in G3 that allow one to leech, only to upload slower. That can also be done with any other client via a well known application called Net Limiter. The client spoofing feature is in there because trackers started banning it for ridiculous reasons like the one you choose.

If you ban one client, the leechers will then move to another, and another, where does it end? Banning the very thing that makes the community possible, without clients you have nothing. So the community is basicly going to implode? Nah, i tihnk there is a better way. Lets approach the main tracker programmers and suggest a new feature. A central database of banned ip addresses. It would work like this, the tracker would automatically ban anyone with a prolonged ratio below 1:1, prolonged because when you first start downloading a file you almost always have a pretty bad ratio, the tracker would then, once a week or so, report back to the central database the ip's of those banned, other trackers would also do the same. Then the trackers update thier own master list of banned ip's. There are a few problems with this though, as the central database would require alot of bandwidth. This way the community would improve itself, only keeping those that share.

• Dark-One

Dark-One - 2004-12-05

Also the MPAA etc will have a list of IPs and know what they are downloading. Also problem with that whole IP banning thing as well, some trackers are not done properly, sometimes my Real Ip and sometimes my My ISPs HTTP Proxy is reported and if the HTTP Proxy is reported as a leecher i'll be banned from some trackers, I share my HTTP Proxy with like lots of people. Also it's not hard to get a new IP either, if you got dynamic IP.

I know G3 is been banned, yet I still use it, the reason been that it's better than the other Clients I used. BitTornado, Azerues, I will stay with G3 if I need to I will install BitTornado and download what I need from a tracker that bans G3.

• Deceased Horse Violence

And with refined client spoofing this will be done how?

And has been stated before this will accomplish what?

mosey on over to

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1035256&forum_id=348632

and see cogent rebuttles including those by "roger2020"

_snip-on

what's to stop someone from using an external bandwidth management application?

These seem the most relevant:

http://www.homeqos.com/
      http://www.netlimiter.com/
      http://bandwidthcontroller.com/

_snip-off

Nothing.  If one wants to restrict upload bandwidth there's nothing you or the tracker can do about it.  Assuming your fascism does take hold on client development how will you stop people from other bandwidth management applications?  or appliances?

As England evidenced banning personal use of self defense weapons resulted in an increase in the violenct crime rate -- including those fun home invasion robberies.  Banning guns only creates more victims of crime.  It does nothing to reduce criminal inclination.  Fascist banning of this or that client makes BT participants subject to the irrationality of the few. 

"Banning the client the use, G3 or not, is not going to affect that persons will. Those people will just switch to a different client. The are not any clients that one can not leech with." - apraxhren

Leechers are part of BT.  One who does not yet possess 100% of a file set is a leecher.  Abusive leechers are those who upload essentially nil in comparison with their take.   Wanting them to go away is nice and all but its vain desire.  Place your hopes in lofty things.  Pray for them if you like; that'll be more effective at changing their hearts.  Your prayer will benefit you too.  Retaining irritionality and hate is simply self destructive.

Perfect justice is not always attainable in this life.

• LeoXV

LeoXV - 2004-12-05

• Dark-One

Dark-One - 2004-12-05

I see some Anime Fans.