Menu

does g3torrent RC1 tweaked v0.3 have ....

2004-12-03
2013-04-03
  • Feature Monger

Feature Monger - 2004-12-03

Does   g3torrent RC1 tweaked v0.3  already have any of these feautures? 

#  Intelligent Connection Optimize, Auto Optimization for different connections, runs well using all default settings.

# Intelligent Rate Control, optimize the upload distribution in order to get the max download rate.

# Intelligent Disk Cache, decrease the potential damage to the hard disk when high-speed downloading (>500KB/s) by decrease the read / write frequency, extra memory usage is the cost. (detail)

# Intelligent Disk Allocating, no long-time disk allocation, also decrease the disk fragment to almost zero.

# Compatiable with Windows XP SP2 TCP/IP restriction (new in v0.55, more detail)

# Support Multi-tracker, and utf-8 extension, UDP tracker Protocol v2.

as shown on BitComet.com

??

Many download applications have a user configurable cache-download-to-memory setting to minimize hard disk use ESPECIALLY when downloading MANY simultaneous torrents.    FlashGet will download 4 megs before writing to disk.  Can G3 do this?

• Apraxhren

Apraxhren - 2004-12-03

In my opinion much of this is just jibberish, like they are trying to sell sometihng.

#1 Intelligent Connection Optimize I haven't used bitcomet so i don't know if it actually changed any connection settings based on different internet speeds, if it actually does, then no G3 does not have this. However there is very few things a end user client can do to effect speeds so G3 does "run well using all default settings"

#2 Intelligent Rate Control is just fancy talk for a choker, with was part of the original bit torrent client.  I don't know of any clients that don't have choker options, G3 in fact has 2 preset choker options, and a user customizable setting.

#3 Intelligent Disk Cache and "potential damage" is jibberish, the way bit torrent works is to download what it calls blocks, the block sizes are set by the user who made the torrent file. When a client downloads one of these blocks, often called pieces, it doiesn't write it to the disk until it has all of the block, and has checked the hash to make sure there are no errors. I don't know how one could damage a harddrive by reading and writing to it, thats what they are made for. Sounds like them taking credit for another bit torrent specification.

#4 Intelligent Disk Allocating, yes i believe most client has pre-allocating, however the time it takes to allocate depends on mainly your system, though i would image there is a a way to decrease overhgead by the client. G3 does pre-allocate.

#5 Yes, G3 is compatiable with SP2.

#6 Yes, G3 has multi-tracker and utf-8 however it does not support the UDP tracker protocol, i wish it would.

Your last question, no G3 allocate space for the file when the torrent is added, if one added many files at once it could cause a slight freeze.

Lastly, i find it useless to compare feature lists, as sometimes people will exagerate, or generalize features, best way is to just download each, and use it for a bit, find which one you like better.