Menu

problems initiating download / other bug

Anonymous
2004-03-25
2004-03-25
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-03-25

Firstly I'd like to say I'm impressed with the direction our beloved G3 Torrent is heading. We all know it great and wonderful and blah blah blah blah.. I have two problems I'd like to bring forward to the table for discussion and solution possiblities.

Initiating download, when I click to download and open a torrent it will load in G3 torrent then set up successfully. However it's status will not change from "Checking" in my client, it's message will read:

[General] - Download thread ending
    [Error] - Couldn't listen - (10049, "Can't assign requested address")
    [General] - Starting download thread

I've found that closing my G3 torrent and opening it again will start the transfers successfully! Which brings me to my second problem which is that my torrents will disappear seemingly randomly off my list at this stage. The .torrents don't seem to be saving themselfs to my created "torrents" directory like I want and told them to do.. so I then have to start the download again by downloading and running the torrent which doesn't start the transfer and I have to close G3. The cycle then continues.

I'm also having troubles starting/stopping/pausing my torrents, so I cannot use this tactic to get my transfers up and running either.

I'm using G3 Torrent v0.988 with IE6 and Windows XP Sp1. If anyone has any suggestions as to what as I consider it to be my own rock solid brain deficiency, a good doctor would be nice to find. Thank you

• Jeremy Arendt

Jeremy Arendt - 2004-03-25

The most probably cause of "Can't assign requested address" is that you have attempted to enter an IP address where it says "IP to bind to localy"

Unless you have very specific needs, do NOT enter any thing into that feild. Make sure you have cleared it before trying to start another DL.

The fact that the DLs do actually start correctly when closing and restarting the client is a bug. =) It's was not correctly applying the bind setting if it was restarted. This will be fixed shortly.

The other problems you mentioned such as the torrents not correctly saving, resuming, stopping, are probably probably just side effects of this one problem. Otherwise let me know.

• growery

growery - 2004-03-25

There's that other bug.

When the program is running and you press a torrent link it won't start downloading in the program...

Don't forget to solve this one please.

Windows XP PRO SP1
        IE 6

• Jeremy Arendt

Jeremy Arendt - 2004-03-25

Still no one else has reported this, and it works fine for me.

Only thing I can say is maybe you are using a firewall and need to open up port 7007 because that port is used for IPC.

• growery

growery - 2004-03-25

Well can you please tell me in which part of the program source is the catcher for torrents when you press a torrent link?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-03-25

Are you sure? I really liked having that "IP to bind locally" field filled in, because it unfortunately means that my torrents connect properly to the tracker. :( It's something to do with my Linksys Switch/Router I don't really know though.

Thank you for the reassurance of bug's being weeded out of this next release. I think the biggest problem however is the lack of saving .torrent files locally and that they sometimes inexplicably vanish themselfs off the list when you close down and re-open G3 Torrent. I am getting the hang of working this thing as it is, which is good news. =:)