Menu

Poll/Scrape/Announce Clarification Please

2004-11-06
2013-04-03
  • Brian J. Mason

Brian J. Mason - 2004-11-06

I seem to be having difficulty encouraging peers to connect to me when using G3 and would like to ask for some clarification on how it handles Scraping and Announcements as the only thing vaguely similar seems to be the "Poll Tracker" option.

G3 Obviously requests the number of seeds and peers from (or "scrapes") the tracker periodically, but how frequently does it do this and can we please have an option to adjust it?

I know that when you connect to a tracker, it sends an announcement to the swarm that you are there to encourage them to connect to you.  Most clients nowadays have the option to manually re-trigger this announcement which encourages people to connect to you if they missed you the first time.  Periodic manual announcements over time lead to more connectivity between peers and speeds up the swarm.  Does G3 have the ability to do this? The "Poll Tracker" option appears to have something to do with this but I am unable to tell what.  Either way, would it be possible to "auto-announce" (...)

• Brian J. Mason

Brian J. Mason - 2004-11-06

(...) continued from previous post (...)

would it be possible to "auto-announce", or automatically send a request to the tracker to announce your presance on the swarm to encourage more peer connectivity?  Azureus appears to trigger an announce when it scrapes the tracker which results in an exceptional number of connecting peers over time.  I would love to see the associated performance boost to make it's way into G3.

• d0c 54v4g3

d0c 54v4g3 - 2004-12-16

Hey,

Sorry I think I missed this one when you posted.
      Clarification:
      G3 announces once when you start the torrent and it then reannounces to the tracker every 5 minutes.  It also scrapes the tracker periodically (though I can't remember the frequency at the moment). 

The 'poll tracker' function sends an announce to the tracker which is the same as the 5 minute announce.

I have considered adding a setting to customise the frequency, but 5 minutes should be sufficient and will also keep unnecessary bandwidth useage to a minimum (for the trackers sake)

I hope that answers most of your questions, if a little late. :)

d0c