How do I start????

2010-08-22
2013-03-05
  • lonely marauder

lonely marauder - 2010-08-22

Hey, I am sorry if this is not the correct forum for this.But I am a newbie.So….How can I contribute?
    I mean how do I start.I know c and am doing a course on Network Programming in my college this semester.I have a fairly good idea about the working of a linux os.So I thought , that it would be better by watching and learning from real work than just college assignments.So any help on how to begin would be appreciated………Thanks in advance.

• ted creedon

ted creedon - 2010-08-22

install wireshark
    install fwbuilder

RTFM

build your first firewall

look at packets /w/ wireshark and tail -f the dropped packet log

have fun

• Vadim Kurland

Vadim Kurland - 2010-08-22

if you offer your help with development of the project, then we need experience with C++, STL, Qt.  Understanding of firewalls is a big plus.

• lonely marauder

lonely marauder - 2010-08-23

@tedc: Yes, I have been using wireshark for a while now,got fwbuilder just yesterday.

@vkurland: I have not much experience with c++, in particular.I have gotten familiar with c++ just 15 days back.But I have been working with c and java for 6 months now.So I guess I can cope up.But I haven't worked with STL or Qt.I have a decent idea of firewalls , their implementation from unix point of view.

In any case, I would gladly, as tedc points, RTFM. So if you specify the nature of the tasks involved in the project, it would help my study.

And thanks for the quick reply………

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks