Virtual addresses for NAT not persistent

2010-10-13
2013-03-05
  • Alexander Karatarakis

Under Firewall Options, in the Script tab i have " Add virtual addresses for NAT" checked.
    I install the settings on the firewall. Then, to make firewall settings persistent, i use webmin which has the option to Apply Current configuration and make it be there after you reboot the system(btw, I haven't found a way to do that through fwbuilder).

The only thing that is not persistent is the Adresses for the NAT. I tried to create virtual interfaces through webmin or by editing /etc/network/interfaces directly, but this does not work.

As it is, i have to install the configuration through fwbuilder after every restart. I was wondering what fwbuilder does with virtual addresses to make things work. They don't appear on /etc/network/interfaces so i was wondering the " Add virtual addresses for NAT"  actually does, so that I can use a script to do it on every restart.

Also, is there some other way I can take fwbuilder's script and have it be executed as a whole at boot time?

• Mike Horn

Mike Horn - 2010-10-14

Here's the documentation for how to have the fwbuilder script run at boot time:

http://www.fwbuilder.org/4.0/docs/users_guide/load_policy_on_reboot.html

Configuring it this way should take care of your issue with virtual addresses for NAT.  Let us know if this doesn't work for you.

• Alexander Karatarakis

Thank you for your swift response.
    I should have rtfm-ed a little more closely.
    I did what the documentation said, adding the firewall script on /etc/rc.local and the interfaces indeed do come up on every reboot and i can ping them. However, when tracerouting the trace stopped at the firewall unable to find the next route. This is fixed by restarting the network after the script is applied, so i just added the following line on /etc/rc.local right after the script:
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

Now it works like a charm, thank you very much :).

For the record, I am running Ubuntu Server 10.10 on a Penium 4

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks