drag and drop not working

2010-12-04
2013-03-05
  • Warren Steffen
    Warren Steffen
    2010-12-04

I have v4.1.2 running on Xubuntu 10.10 and I can not drag and drop the established service (standard) into a new rule in the policy window. What am I doing wrong?

• Vadim Kurland
    Vadim Kurland
    2010-12-04

can you drag and drop any other service into the same rule  ?  Which part of the rule you are trying to drop it to ?

• Warren Steffen
    Warren Steffen
    2010-12-05

I can not drag any service I tried into the service field of a rule, in fact it appears that I am unable to drag and drop any thing from the objects area into a new rule.  I have tried to drop into several various parts of a rule (service into the service part, a network object to the destination part and an interface into the interface part). None of these work. I can however move and copy between rules.

• Vadim Kurland
    Vadim Kurland
    2010-12-05

I dont know anything about Xubuntu. What is the difference between it and regular Ubuntu ? What version of QT it has ? Please post contents of the Help / Debug dialog from fwbuilder GUI

did you compile from source or did you use binary package ?

• Warren Steffen
    Warren Steffen
    2010-12-05

Below is what is in the debug window do the "help/debug"  However when the debug window is open the main window is not accessible.  Other windows such as the terminal window and Firefox browser (I did these just for test) are accessible. Am i correct in assuming that I should be able to use the main window and that the debug window should show what is happening?

Path to executable: /usr/bin/fwbuilder
    Path to resources: /usr/share/fwbuilder-4.1.2
    Path to locale: /usr/share/fwbuilder-4.1.2/locale
    Path to lib resources: /usr/share/libfwbuilder-4.1.2
    appRootDir: /usr/bin

sysfname: /usr/share/fwbuilder-4.1.2/objects_init.xml
    tempfname: /usr/share/fwbuilder-4.1.2/templates.xml
    user name: wsteffen

Path to rcs: rcs
    Path to rcsdiff: rcsdiff
    Path to rlog: rlog
    Path to ci: ci
    Path to co: co

RCS timezone setting:
    -07:00

RCS environment:
    USER=wsteffen
    LOGNAME=wsteffen

Current locale: en_US

Versions:
      Firewall Builder 4.1.2
      Build 3346
      Using libfwbuilder 4.1.2
      Data format version 17
      Built with QT 4.5.2
      Using QT 4.7.0
      Built with libxml2 2.7.5
      Using libxml2 20707

FWObjectDatabase index statistics:
      index size: 450 records
      hits: 306
      misses: 0
    QPixmapCache limit: 4096 kb

• Warren Steffen
    Warren Steffen
    2010-12-05

BTW I am using a binary package from the Ubuntu package manager.  Xubuntu is much the same as Ubuntu, but uses the xfce window manager instead of gnome.

• Vadim Kurland
    Vadim Kurland
    2010-12-05

the "debug" window is just a modal dialog that shows some internal information, you can't use the program when it is open. We had no reports of the problem with d&d on Ubuntu with Qt 4.5.x or later. The package you are using was compiled and linked with Qt libraries version 4.5.2 but your system has Qt 4.7.0. When we ship binary packages, we make sure we build them on the same version of Ubuntu so they are built with the same version of Qt as the one they will run with.

I suggest you either try binary package of fwbuilder built for the newer Ubuntu distribution or try to build fwbuilder from source. See here:   http://www.fwbuilder.org/4.0/docs/users_guide/compile_from_source.html

• Warren Steffen
    Warren Steffen
    2010-12-06

Well I thought when I used the Synatpic package manager, I would get the correct version of the package. I guess I do not understand how it works. (the package manager)
    What if I build from source and the have the same problem?

• Vadim Kurland
    Vadim Kurland
    2010-12-06

when you use Synaptic or apt-get, you get the package that ships with your distribution. This package has been built by the people who assemble distribution. We (developers who make the software) have no control over how and when that happens and do not test their packages. Those who build distribution, on the other hand, build hundreds of different packages and do not use most of them. They do not know how the software is supposed to work and can miss subtle problems like the one you describe. They compiled the software, made sure it starts and does not crash right away and assumed it works.

If the problem persists when you rebuild from source, then we'll look at it again.

• Warren Steffen
    Warren Steffen
    2010-12-06

Thank you for all your help!! I did find that I had down loaded the FWBuilder files for the wrong version of Xubuntu. (from the FWB download site) A BIG mistake on my part!
    Thanks again for your help!!