I've been looking through Szombathelyi György patch:
It uses XRandr to change video resolution in fullscreen mode. It's quite similar to SDL UI. This seems the best method for "rectangular" monitors (4:3). However, this looks very bad in widescreen monitors (16:9) because distorts the aspect ratio approximately 30%.
For widescreen resolutions, I would prefer maximize the height and add black bars if necessary.
- One solution could be going into fullscreen without changing resolution, finding the maximun scaler (1x, 2x, 3x) that fits into the screen and centering the image. This keeps the aspect ratio but could be quite limited with high resolutions.
- Another option could be using a variable scaler that scales the image to fit the window/desktop. Snes9x emulator has done much work here. It's an interesting, but nevertheless complex, solution.
We also could use a mix of different methods depending desktop resolution or user's choice.
The attached patch is a proof of concept for starting:
- Enters fullscreen by F11 key or menu option
- Picks the maximum scaler and centers the image
- Exits fullscreen by F11 key, right click through popup menu, or mouse motion through leave button
I would like some people's thoughts and suggestions on this feature.
Log in to post a comment.