Help
Brade
2008-02-06
2013-04-25
  • Brade

Brade - 2008-02-06

So I followed the directions for ubuntu 7.10 here:
    http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki/index.php/Compiling_on_Ubuntu_Linux

And everything actually compiled and installed. I start up fuppes server and I can browse with my PS3, but I can only play mp3's. The oggs are not transcoding. I've looked on many forums and can't seem to find the answer. Any ideas?

• Samuel  Henderson

Hi.  Have you read the article on the wiki: http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/wiki/index.php/Device_specific_settings#audio_transcoding   they use ogg as an example for transcoding. Hopefully that will get you up and running.

• Brade

Brade - 2008-02-06

Well, I've already enabled the PS3 device which has the correct params for ogg encoding. I suppose I can try simply setting these params for the default device. I'll have to wait til I'm back home this evening.

• Brade

Brade - 2008-02-07

aargh, still no luck. I tried just putting those setting on the default device, and still it says 'unsupported' for ogg files. I can hit triangle and get information, at least for the first 4 fields (song, album, artist, genre). but it just won't play them. maybe the newest ffmpeg I compiled from the repo changed something so it no longer works??

• Samuel  Henderson

Definitely possible I suppose.  I'm new to the whole ffmpeg / transcoding scene and am still struggling to work out the kinks for trans coding on the 360.  You might want to try using ffmpeg from the command line to manually transcode the ogg files into mp3's.  If that works out then you know there's likely an issue with fuppes.

• Samuel  Henderson

Ohh wait.  Ogg transcoding would be done by lame ... not ffmpeg right?

• Brade

Brade - 2008-02-07

yeah I think that's right. the decoder is vorbis, the encoder is lame. (I'll say)

so is there another command line instruction i can use to test ogg encoding?

• Samuel  Henderson

I'm no expert on encoding/transcoding but try giving this a shot?

#lame sample.ogg sample.mp3

Otherwise you could try to install a gui app, something like Audacious, and see if that can convert the files.

• Brade

Brade - 2008-02-07

Actually I had to install the "lame" command line utility (already had the libs installed). do you think that will make a difference in fuppes working? does it use command line tools behind the scenes to do its thing?

• Samuel  Henderson

I have no idea.  I tried looking through the source code, but with work and all I didn't really have a chance to dive to deep as of yet. 

• Brade

Brade - 2008-02-09

Still no dice. (I figured that wouldn't work though.)
      Aaargh, this is mighty annoying, especially since the config/make/install process went smoothly. It just refuses to transcode oggs for the PS3.....

• Ulrich Völkel

Ulrich Völkel - 2008-02-13

still no luck with the latest svn?
      all revisions > 578 had a bug in the base64 decoding which may have caused the problem.
      If it does not work please someone send me a wireshark capture and a fuppes log.

- Uli

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks