vfolder.cfg and PS3

Help
2008-02-20
2013-04-25
  • Ryan Courtnage

Ryan Courtnage - 2008-02-20

Hi all,

I've installed the default vfolder.cfg and have change the default device parameter to device="PS3" (matching virtual="PS3" in fuppes.cfg). I then rebuilt the fuppes db.

The virtual folders, however, don't appear on the PS3. Does anyone have vfolder.cfg that actually makes virtual folders appear on the PS3? Or perhaps some tips to get it working?

Thank you
    Ryan

• Dominic Tulley

Dominic Tulley - 2008-02-20

Ryan, I think you need to rebuild the virtual folders separately, after you've rebuilt the database.

Certainly, I have virtual folders appearing in my PS3 through Fuppes, although I didn't change the default device parameter (I think I just added a section at the end of the config with a few specific settings).

-Dominic

• Ryan Courtnage

Ryan Courtnage - 2008-02-20

Dominic,

Thanks for replying.  I wasn't aware there was an option to build the virtual folders separately - I'll look for that tonight.

I'm curious, what media types do you use vfolders for?  Videos, photos or music?  I'm also curious if for the music vfolders you are making use of your itunes.xml.

Thanks!
        Ryan

• Dominic Tulley

Dominic Tulley - 2008-02-20

In windows, it's called "rebuild virtual containers" and appears on the menu from the notification icon.  If you're not on windows I'm not sure how you access it.

I use it for music (from itunes) and was also trying to use it for video but haven't yet come up with a configuration I like so I just use the full_extend="true" option to get the full disk hierarchy from my pc for video.

There are various shortcomings that make it "not ideal" at the moment - I'm not sure if these are from Fuppes or from how the PS3 renders the results from a DNLA server.  You don't seem to be able to play a "folder of music" for instance - you have to choose a track and then it will play the others after it in that folder.

-Dominic

• Ryan Courtnage

Ryan Courtnage - 2008-02-21

Thanks, there is a console option to rebuild the virtual containers.  After doing that it works just fine!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks