WMP

Help
Horse21
2009-10-30
2013-04-25
  • Horse21

Horse21 - 2009-10-30

Hello,
    I am working with Fuppes on Linux (Kubuntu) and I can't quite seem to get it working correctly with Windows Media Player on Windows XP. I've installed XMBC and it's working with that, although I have to send the alive message out for XMBC to see it, it does not pick it up automatically.

I can see Fuppes in my network view, but it's not showing up at all in Windows Media Player 11. I've searched, but I can't seem to find anyone talking about configs for Windows Media Player, it all seems to be about the PS3, 360, or such and such TV or DLNA device.

Firewall is set up for it on both computers. I'm able to access the default web interface from the Windows box. XMBC is running on the Windows box as well, and it is able to see the data after I send the alive message from the Fuppes console.

Anyone have any ideas for how to either get media player seeing Fuppes, how to tweak Fuppes for XMBC to be able to see the server when XMBC starts up, or if these are known limitations? I only really need one or the other, although getting both working would be ideal! I can post my configs upon request, just didn't want to clutter the question with them if they weren't needed.

Thank you!

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2009-10-30

Does MiniDLNA work for you?  That can at least help rule out a firewall issue.

• Horse21

Horse21 - 2009-10-30

Hey jmaggard,
    Thanks for the quick response! I just tried to install it really (*really*) quickly, as I'm not at home and don't really have time for making sure I'm doing a full install. I ran it in debug mode and it brought up what look like a couple warnings, but continued running:

minidlna.c:670: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.16-pre7 .
         minidlna.c:765: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
         minissdp.c:306: debug: Sending SSDP notifies
         inotify.c:188: debug: Add watch to /opt/google
         inotify.c:188: debug: Add watch to /opt/google/chrome
         inotify.c:188: debug: Add watch to /opt/google/chrome/locales
         inotify.c:188: debug: Add watch to /opt/google/chrome/plugins
         inotify.c:188: debug: Add watch to /opt/google/chrome/resources
         inotify.c:188: debug: Add watch to /opt/google/chrome/resources/inspector
         inotify.c:188: debug: Add watch to /opt/google/chrome/resources/inspector/Images
         inotify.c:188: debug: Add watch to /opt/google/chrome/themes

I couldn't see it from WMP11, and I can't open XMBC because of the video restrictions of remote desktop. This when I try to access the default web interface at 8200:

minidlna.c:765: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200   
         minissdp.c:306: debug: Sending SSDP notifies   
         minidlna.c:960: debug: HTTP connection from 192.168.0.138:1142   
         upnphttp.c:672: debug: HTTP REQUEST: GET / HTTP/1.1   
        Host: 192.168.0.198:8200   
        Connection: keep-alive   
        User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/3.0.195.27 Safari/532.0   
        Cache-Control: max-age=0   
        Accept: application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5   
        Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch   
        Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8   
        Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3   
         upnphttp.c:805: warn: / not found, responding ERROR 404   
         upnphttp.c:1009: debug: HTTP RESPONSE: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found   
        Content-Type: text/html   
        Connection: close   
        Content-Length: 134   
        Server: Debian/4.0 DLNADOC/1.50 UPnP/1.0 MiniDLNA/1.0   

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><H1>Not Found</H1>The requested URL was not found on this
        server.</BODY></HTML>   

minidlna.c:960: debug: HTTP connection from 192.168.0.138:1144   
         upnphttp.c:672: debug: HTTP REQUEST: GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1   
        Host: 192.168.0.198:8200   
        Connection: keep-alive   
        User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/3.0.195.27 Safari/532.0   
        Accept: */*   
        Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch   
        Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8   
        Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.3   

upnphttp.c:805: warn: /favicon.ico not found, responding ERROR 404   
         upnphttp.c:1009: debug: HTTP RESPONSE: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found   
        Content-Type: text/html   
        Connection: close   
        Content-Length: 134   
        Server: Debian/4.0 DLNADOC/1.50 UPnP/1.0 MiniDLNA/1.0

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><H1>Not Found</H1>The requested URL was not found on this
        server.</BODY></HTML>

Either way, doesn't the fact that XMBC on the Windows box can access the files on the Fuppes Linux server show that there isn't a firewall issue? And it says 'MiniDLNA Beta by jmaggard' on sourceforge, hopefully that's not why you're asking me to try it ;) haha.

Thanks again!

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2009-10-30

I actually use both, since fuppes does transcoding, and I haven't had time to implement it. :)  Minidlna doesn't have a web interface, so that's normal.  I know minidlna for sure works with WMP, so I would have to guess it's a Windows setting.  Are you sure media sharing is enabled in Windows?  XBMC doesn't rely on this setting.

• Horse21

Horse21 - 2009-10-30

I have file and print sharing enabled, as well as the option checked when you click on 'Library->Media Sharing' in WMP. I do not see any devices in the WMP media sharing dialog box, but the only things running right now are my linux and the windows machines, so I don't believe it would see anything. Is it supposed to see Fuppes there? Or am I missing another place that sharing needs to be turned on?

• Horse21

Horse21 - 2009-10-31

At home now; I believe my roommate's computer sees the Minidlna server; it has the name 'serverName:root' where serverName is the name of my linux computer. She's running Windows Vista Home Premium and WMP11, whereas I have XP Pro. I think I've read that vista has better compatibility with DLNA than XP, could this be a problem with my Windows machine? Her computer still doesn't see my Fuppes server though.

• Justin Maggard

Justin Maggard - 2009-11-02

I've only used Vista's WMP, and I also never saw it working properly with Fuppes.  But I didn't try very hard.  WMP is *very* picky about the device description XML that's sent from the server during discovery, so it's a good bet that it's related to that.

• Eugien Kochnev

Eugien Kochnev - 2009-11-03

WMP 12 in Windows 7 working with fuppes very well…