Menu

FullSync Portable?

smaragdus
2015-04-11
2015-05-18
  • smaragdus

smaragdus - 2015-04-11

Hello,

I would like to ask whether there is a way to make FullSync run as a portable program- it creates a folder- C:\Users\XXX.config\fullsync containing the following files- 'fullsync.log', 'preferences.properties' and 'profiles.xml'. Is there a way to force FullSync write all its data and settings to its own folder?

• Christoph

Christoph - 2015-04-13

Yes it's possible to get FullSync to write all those files to another location:
    set the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_DIR to a place where you want to have the FullSync configuration saved.

however there are a few more things that are needed depending on what you mean by 'portable' and not all of them are that easy...

HTH,
    Christoph

• smaragdus

smaragdus - 2015-04-17

@Christoph
    Thank you for the tip!
    Any chances for a natively portable version?
    A tiny suggestion- 'Preferences'-'Save desktop position on exit'.
    By the way will there be any new versions of FullSync in the foreseeable future?
    Best Regards,
    Asen

• Christoph

Christoph - 2015-04-20
    • portable version:
      yes probably in one of the next versions
    • save Desktop position:
      great idea (I didn't notice this was not happening because I'm too much of a Linux user and did that with my window manager ^^ )
    • new version:
      definitely, but exactly when is hard to say :)

Br,
    Christoph

• smaragdus

smaragdus - 2015-04-21

@Christoph
    I prefer natively portable programs because I can save their settings before re-installing Windows without much effort.
    When I discovered FullSync I fell in love with its clean interface and sweet icon. ;)
    I would suggest a new mode- 'Move' which will move (transfer) the contents of destination 'A' to destination 'B', which will be very useful if FullSync offers shell integration (running FullSync from Windows shell). Have you ever thought of shell integration?
    In my opinion a 'Compare' mode which only shows the differences between source and destination would also be useful (especially if this 'Compare' mode might be executed from Windows shell- something similar to what WinMerge offers..
    Regards,
    Asen

• Christoph

Christoph - 2015-04-27

I haven't thought of shell integration, could be useful sometimes so i filed https://sourceforge.net/p/fullsync/feature-requests/43/ to make sure it's not lost in this discussion thread.
    I also filed https://sourceforge.net/p/fullsync/feature-requests/44/ for the move profile type, also sounds useful :)

Thanks for your explanation on why you like portable applications, if there is a clear idea of how users benefit from a feature it's a lot easier to create a useful implementation and find motivation to spend the time needed to implement them!

Br,
    Christoph

• smaragdus

smaragdus - 2015-05-12

@Christoph
    I added a feature request about desktop position:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/fullsync/feature-requests/45/
    I hope that the new version of FullSync won't require Java 8 since it is extremely restrictive in terms on security and some Java applets cannot be run inside browsers.
    Regards,
    Asen

• Christoph

Christoph - 2015-05-12

Hi Asen,
    actually I considered upgrading the Java requirement to Java 8 for the next release, the reason for that is that Oracle will not release any updates for Java 7 any more (last update was Java7u80 from 2015-04-14 according to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history#Java_7_updates ). Also running Java inside your browser is going away (already disabled in Google Chrome, Mozilla and Microsoft indicated IIRC that they want to disable such plug-ins).

Keep in mind that running an outdated Java plug-in in your browser puts your system at extreme risk of being infected.

Br,
    Christoph

• smaragdus

smaragdus - 2015-05-18

Hello Christoph,

First- something a bit off-topic- what i dislike in Java 8 is that 'Medium' security level has been removed. I tried to add web-sites in the exceptions list but to no avail- I was unable to rum some Java chess applets inside Firefox. I hate all kind of restrictions- I know what I am doing and I have never had any problem with Java for over a decade. If Java is vulnerable, then Flash is 10 times more vulnerable. But does Firefox block Flash? Opening of PDF documents inside browser is a security risk too but Mozilla doesn't mind it. Once I loved Firefox and Opera, now I hate them both and the only reason I haven't yet moved to SeaMonkey is that some add-ons are incompatible with the fox. In fact those who care for security don't use Windows since with Windows security is impossible (in my opinion). Sooner or later I would update to Java 8 (especially if new versions of FullSync require it) but I will do it unwillingly.

About FullSync- I would like to suggest another tiny new feature- you might add an option for 'Alphabetical Sorting of Profiles' and 'Sorting of Profiles according to Description' in Preferences. 'Description' can be used as a filter for grouping of profiles. When both 'Alphabetical Sorting of Profiles' and 'Sorting of Profiles according to Description' are selected FullSync should sort Profiles according to this pattern- Description A- Profile A, Profile B, Profile C, etc, Description B- Profile A, Profile B, Profile C. I suggest such a sorting order since FullSync doesn't allow organizing of profiles into groups.

Another suggestion, an option to export all FullSync data and settings (profiles, preferences, logs) into an archive (ZIP, 7Z) and respectively an option to import all that from an archive. Now FullSync can only import profiles (profiles.xml). So I would call this new feature Import/Export All Settings. Now I an doing this manually but it would be far easier and handier if FullSync offered such an option. Of course full portability of FullSync would also do the job.

Regards,

Asen