Menu

New problems with Beta 6

Help
2007-03-13
2013-04-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

I have tested the new Beta 6 on TX, T5 and E2, and while the "track number display" and "association of snapshots and D64 files" features are very appreciated, some new problems poped up:

1) Try Jet Set Willy. On all three machines, the colour border on the sides is wrong (black instead the same colour that on top and bottom), which leads to some items now hidden (black on black instead of black on blue, for instance). Anything wrong with the colour registers ?

2) The programs crashes heavily (you need a soft reset) on T5 if you attempt to load a snapshot without the card with the corresponding D64 file; on T5 this is especially bad, if it happens once, re-inserting the card does not solve the problem - you need to delete the main database with FileZ !

Besides, most of the problems I had with beta5 are still there, namely:

1) "Buffered 256 (most compatible) option only works on T5; on more recent machines, i.e. TX and TE2, this leads to corrupted color display,

2) Even if Frodo is not started from the SD card, the preferences are only saved properly on the T5 (with the notable expection of the "Buffered 256" option !); on TX and TE2, all settings are lost after a soft reset, and the Joystick selection (1/2) is lost after a program exit / restart.

3) The sound is lagging... seems to be less with beta6, however !

4) Many D64 would just not load and would hang, even with the "full 1541 emulation" option... even if you give a lot of time for the loading !

5) auto off is very quick...

6) an "autoloading" feature of D64 files would be great ! :)

7) GEOS would not run; that would be great however, to have it run with REUis and several floppy drives... as well with .crt files, C128 emulation, etc :)

8) I tried to put some 2,000 D64 files on the SD card. Frodo would not load this list and complain about a memory error. What is the max number of files you can put ?

Anyway, great program ! I am glad to see that some efforts are put into it. Keep on the good work ! :)

Cheers,

Vincent

• TomB

TomB - 2007-03-13

Thank you for your detailed description of the problems you have with Frodo. I try to reproduce and fix them in the next days. It's difficult to find solutions for problems with specific devices without having such Palm, I can only test on my Tungsten E.

Regards,
      Tom

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks Tom !
      If you need me to test specific procedures on devices, especially TX and TE2 which are the current devices that people buy and which seems to have huge internal differences with previous devices (cf. problems with Buffered 256 or saving preferences !) please feel free to use me ;)

Cheers,

Vincent

• TomB

TomB - 2007-03-13

Jet Set Willy is one of the games, which only works 100% with FrodoSC (single cycle version in windows). If you use the normal version of Frodo or FrodoPC (precise cycles) on windows, you have the same problem with the wrong border color.
      Maybe I try to create a version of FrodoSC for Palm, but I think, most devices are too slow for that (Tungsten E with ~120 MHz).

Regards,
      Tom

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Tom,

Well - it was working fine with beta5, which is not based on FrodoSC more than beta6 ?? I don't get it, thanks for clarifying...

Cheers,

Vincent

• TomB

TomB - 2007-03-14

You are right. There was a bug in the original version of Frodo in ECM display mode of the C64. I fixed it but with the new design of the TextColorTable, a new bug occured. I found the problem and also fixed the problem when removing the expansion card and a disk was attached to the snapshot during load. The corrected version will be online tomorrow.

Regards,
        Tom