Menu

Why can't it run on OS 4.1 Devices

Help
2006-02-09
2013-04-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Since I have a Sony Clie 625c, I ask myself why Palm OS < 5.0 is not possible to run the emulator.

Can you create a PalmOS 4.1 Version for us, or is it impossible to develop emulators for that platform??

I think its 33 MHz ARM Processor / 16 MB is capable of running frodo, OS 4.1 is also. So what makes you think OS 4.1 is too old to develop for ??????

There are lots of people around, that still use this "old" devices and would love some development for it.

PLS post your comments on that.

Thank you

• TomB

TomB - 2006-02-09

The main code of Frodo is ARM, not 68000 like the CPU of Sony Clie 625c (Motorola Dragonball).
      We have to create a new version of Frodo, which is compiled for m68k code, not for ARM code. We also have to rewrite the communication between emulator and UI and do a lot of testing without a real device.
      I currently working on FrodoPC (precise cycle version) and don't have so much spare time to create also a new version of Frodo for older devices. Sorry.

Regards,
      Tom

• Nobody/Anonymous

What's FrodoPC?

• TomB

TomB - 2006-02-10

The original port of Frodo contains three versions:
        Frodo: basic version
        FrodoPC: precise cycle version
        FrodoSC: single cycle version
        FrodoPC calculates the cycles per 6510 opcode more exact than the basic version. Also the CIA counters updated after each cpu opcode.
        The single cycle version (FrodoSC) handles every chip (VIC, CIA, CPU) for each cycle. Most compatible to C64, but too slow to use it on a Palm device.

• Nobody/Anonymous

So this frodopc is for Palm OS5 devices, is that correct?

What do you think the advantages of using FrodoPC over whatever this current version has?

I'd love to help out, also.  I have just about zero Palm development experience, but I'd be willing to help you test out builds/etc. if you need it.

• TomB

TomB - 2006-02-13

A few more games working with FrodoPC than with normal version of Frodo. For example Impossible Mission sometimes crashed on Frodo when you enter the room with the elevator. This never happened in FrodoPC.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Not to be fickle over free software, but I for one would love to see these saving to disk problems looked into; do you think FrodoPC will fix some of those?

• Johan Forsberg

Johan Forsberg - 2006-02-14

Hi, I am Johan, the original developer of Frodo for Palm.

I considered doing what you suggest, but there's a show stopper:

Short version: Your device is *way* to slow.

Medium version: My 166MHz ARM Palm just barely runs Frodo at 100% speed. Your device would run at best at 20% speed.

Long version:

In reality, it's even worse. Your device uses a Motorola Dragonball 33MHz, which is (pretty much) identical to the original M68000 processor, except it's clocked four times faster.

The most highöy optimized C=64 emulator I have ever used was MagiC64 which was for Motorola processors just like yours, so a very direct comparison can be made.

On a M68040@25MHz MagiC64 ran at about 50% speed. Unfortunately, the M68040 version of the M68000 is a lot faster per Hz. *A* *LOT*. About 8 times faster, in fact.

Your Dragonball would need to be clocked at about 400MHz to use MagiC64 to emulate a C=64 at 100%. Or, frased differently, your 33Mhz device would run at 8.7%.

...and (final nail) MagiC64 was extremely optimized and written in assembler. Frodo is probably 1/4th as fast. Your device would run at 2.2% the speed of a real C=64.