Menu

Zodiac Enhancements?

2003-11-24
2003-12-02
  • Nobody/Anonymous

This is great work that you are doing! but do you think there will be any Zodiac enhancements in the near future?  I know the Zodiac hasn't hit retail stores yet, but few thousand people already have it so it would be great if there would be support.  The zodiac has a really nice sound card and an 8mb 2d graphics accelerator...with screen 480x320 resolution

• Johan Forsberg

Johan Forsberg - 2003-11-25

Unfortunately, a 2D accelerator is next to useless for Frodo. Frodo calculates each frame pixel by pixel, so the only thing that matters is processor and memory speed.
      The sound is already being produced at CD quality.

In other words, I can't see anything I can enhance for the Zodiac :-(

Apparently the zodiac is having screen width problems(?), I'll fix that soon. But at least the wonderful gamepad keys work(?).

Oh, and check out the commercial C=64 emu for Zodiac which will be available any moment now. It'll probably beat Frodo for stability and ease of use, but not for speed :-)

• Nobody/Anonymous

The speed is great! I figure out why there were sound problems..because I made it to 50hz...I thought that emulates the commodore monitor or something...I made turn it to 25hz and the sound clears up!  This emulator is great and the speed goes up to 133percent sometimes too when I play archon...I didn't feel any speed up or down!

• Johan Forsberg

Johan Forsberg - 2003-11-26

DON'T turn on "Turbo" mode if you want perfect sound! Turbo mode attempts to run *faster* than the original C=64, sound, gfx, CPU, all of it. The sound is being produced too fast, so the Palm has to constantly skip little bits.

You should have "Adaptive" frameskip and NO TURBO (default mode) to get the best sound and gfx performance.

This is how adaptive mode works: when your CPU is too slow and the emulation is beginning to lag, the graphics emulation is turned off for a frame (20 ms, CPU and sound still run as normal). That's what the '%' meter is really showing BTW:

Adaptive mode (preferred):
        Frames are drawn whenever we aren't falling behind.
        Meter shows percentage of frames drawn.
        <10% and CPU/sound will start to lag.

Turbo mode:
        Every frame is drawn.
        No attempt to limit speed.
        Meter shows total system speed compared to a C=64.

50Hz/25Hz/etc:
        1 in every 1/2/3/4/etc frames are drawn.
        Speed is limited if we are running ahead.
        Meter shows how close we are to the 50/25/etc Hz goal.

Sound should only be bad under these circumstances:
      1) Turbo mode (Palm is too fast)
      2) <10% performance (Palm is too slow)

Johan

• Nobody/Anonymous

thanks for sound tips