Menu

thx! frodo for palm! how to get the author?!

2007-09-29
2013-04-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Can't tell how cool it is to play x-out on my palm!
    Does anybody kno how to contact the auther of the palm os frodo (Christian Bauer)?

cheers

• TomB

TomB - 2007-10-01

Hi,

Christian Bauer created the original version of Frodo for Unix or Linux. Johan Forsberg ported this version to PalmOS, but stopped working on this project 2004. I started working on Frodo 2005 and added some new features, did some bug fixes and performance enhancements. I'm still working sometimes on Frodo for PalmOS and you can post any comments, hints or feature request here in the forum. In the near future, I release a new version with launch from SD card enabled.

Regards,
      Tom

• Johan Forsberg

Johan Forsberg - 2007-10-16

Hi, I'm the author of Frodo for Palm. Time to butt in with one of my super-rare posts in this forum.

TB> Christian Bauer created the original version of Frodo for Unix or Linux.

Not at all. Frodo 1.x and 2.x was for the Amiga only, and they were really very, *very* good. 100% speed at 50% framerate on a 68040/25MHz. 100%/100% speed on the 68060/50MHz.

By version 3.0 Chris decided to go with portability before efficiency, and so it was about 3x slower and unusable on Amigas, but very portable, which is why Frodo for the Palm even exists.

TB> Johan Forsberg ported this version to PalmOS, but stopped working on this project 2004.

I bought the original Tungsten *only because* it was the first Palm that could possibly support a C=64 emulator with anything close to original performance. I waited... and waited... No-one did it, except one company that planned to do a commercial program (I guess I ruined them all :-(  ).

At the time, I was saddled (for 12 months) with a lucrative but mind-eating job, ie. because of prior service contracts I could spend 50 hours a month a Company A. Unfortunately there was nothing for me to do at Company A.

The service contract said Company B (my company) could debit 50 hours a month for maintenance, and there was a 6 month cancelation warning policy, and we weren't actually canceled until 6 months after our product had fallen completely out of use. 12 full months of occupying space (for a top dollar consultancy fee!)

Rather than sitting on my ass pretending to be working (or killing myself), I decided to sit on my ass, work hard, and pretend it was for them (thank you, SSH!)

The end product: Frodo for the Palm.

Then that job-from-hell ended and I had a meaningful occupation again. At the same time Frodo for the Palm had advanced to a usable-if-not-perfect state. I lost interest, or more correctly, I lost the free time.

TB> I started working on Frodo 2005 and added some new features,
        Thank you, Tim.
        TB>did some bug fixes
        Thanks a million, Tim. It's so very embarrassing to leave a buggy in-work project to another developer, especially when my coding style can be so... dumb. And buggy. At times at least. Thanks for not blaming everything on your predecessor, I guess. 
        TB> and performance enhancements.
        Are you sure? What?
        TB> I'm still working sometimes on Frodo for PalmOS and you can post any comments, hints or
        TB> feature request here in the forum. In the near future, I release a new version with launch
        TB> from SD card enabled.

I guess you and me are both used up in this little project, Tim.
        What I did when I started to feel like this was to ask (or rather beg) for replacements.
        Do the same. Isn't there someone?
        In related new, I *still* want to hand over ownership of this SourceForge project to someone else. You refused, remember?

• TomB

TomB - 2007-10-16

Hi Johan.

Nice to see that you monitor this forum from time to time.

You see the performance enhancements when you switch on turbo mode and look at the percentage indicator. There is a significant difference between my first release and version 4.2 RC1. Most things are done in VIC.cpp and I was able to use PC_IS_POINTER after some changes, which results in a much better performance. Also, the first single cycle emulation had 15% on my Tungsten E, the last one has 45%-50%.

I never blame someone for bugs, because I create some by myself. No software with more than 100 lines of code is bug free.

It would be nice if someone else steps in and takes the ownership of Frodo for Palm. There are some open topics in the ToDo list.

For me, it's time to start new projects (perhaps for PalmOS).

Regards,
          Tom Borris

• Johan Forsberg

Johan Forsberg - 2007-10-17

Yes, great work on the single cycle emulation. 3.3x speedup isn't exactly horse droppings (Swedish proverb).

Best of luck with your new adventures.

Out of interest, did you ever get around to sorting out my aborted attempt to transform the audio filter code from floating point to integer math? I'm a very big fan of the SID chip myself, so a good filter emulation would be nice.

Johan

• TomB

TomB - 2007-10-18

I never did any changes to SID code. It works fine and I didn't see any chance to get better performance. I'm not so familiar with audio coding, so it's better to keep my hands off this code.

Regards,
              Tom

• Frantisek Dufka

Frantisek Dufka - 2007-10-24

Hi guys,

Thanks for the port Johan. It is great you are (or were) still improving it Tom.

I also did few tiny fixes to Frodo for Palm but nothing major.  I had only T2 when I made those fixes. Then I bought used Zodiac with the intention that Frodo will be great to play with the stick. Then I got Nokia 770 (and N800) in Nokia developer program (it is still time to join the N810 one, chances are high for developers, go try it) so lately my spare time is occupied with Maemo and T2 is now mainly for making notes and Zodiac mostly sits on shelf waiting to be recharged once a week or so.

I still plan to make it running better on Zodiac since Nokia tablets are not great for  emulators (poor keys) but my time is quite limited. If I get to it I would work on better screen rotation support, full screen support with border on sides and joypad support (which currently mostly does not work in combination with other keys, Zodiac specific input handling would be needed).

Regards,
            Frantisek

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hello!

Thank you all for Frodopalm-my prime source of gaming joy on a Centro!
      May I suggest to update the website a little bit, giving info about the development status and with a link to this forum? Because I think it is not easy to find...maybe that way more people who have an interest in Frodopalm would participate...
      Again, thanks a lot!