Menu

Joystick emulation on Tungsten C

2003-12-05
2003-12-06
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Let me preface with praise, and say that this is a really great emulator. I'm VERY pleased with the speed and overall performance. It will be great to have a larger on-screen keyboard, that's for sure. Very easy to tap alternate letters right now, as I'm sure you're aware.

The problem I seem to be having with the Tungsten C is that it seems like using the onscreen joystick overrides the physical keyboard on the C. I have "joypen" set to "indicator", and if I'm in the standard C64 startup "desktop", using the joypen sends odd characters to the screen. I don't know if that's what it should do or not, but the weird part is that when I start typing with the actual keyboard I get gibberish characters and double input as though I were still fiddling with the joystick. I have to reset the C64 to get the keyboard to accept input properly again.

Also, we're supposed to be able to set the "hardware buttons" to be keys in the emulator, like setting Calendar button to be the fire button on the joystick. The problem I run into with that functionality is that I'm supposed to press and hold the button I want to set to the fire button, but I'm immediately popped back into the Calendar. Frodo isn't overriding the button during the "set" process, I guess is what I'm saying.

One last thought: it would be really great to be able to map some of the C64-specific keys to the hardware keys on the Palm. Then I could set the "Address Book" button to be the Commodore button, "Mail" can become an F-key and so forth, thereby minimizing my time tapping on the mini-keyboard. The ability to use the navigation control on the Palm in lieu of the arrow keys would be an excellent alternative for those games that didn't need a joystick (i.e. - Ultima 4). Simple menu option: "Directional Pad emulates arrow keys" or "Directional Pad emulates joystick" or something like that.

Outstanding work and I'm anxiously awaiting the next release!

Christopher Drum

• John Tokash

John Tokash - 2003-12-06

Christopher,

I have a Tungsten C also.

In the beta, if you set the fire button to be a button on the keyboard, NO KEYS on the keyboard will work correctly to enter text.  It seems like all the keys on the keyboard get treated as joystick buttons if one button on the keyboard is set to fire.

As for getting garbage characters at the console when you press up/down/left/right/fire on your joystick - that's normal c64 behavior.