Menu

My helpful tips :)

2004-05-15
2004-05-20
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Here's just a few things I found that make this prog work best on my Zire 7.1.

1. If you use a portable keyboard device, disable it when playing PalmFrodo. It causes a large performance hit to the emulator and corrupts the sound.
    2. Binding keys: I found that the joystick on my Zire often caused my palm to pop out to the address book or whatever. Here's how I bound the keys to fix the problem: Firstly, In your PALM's preferences, bind the joystick button, and the button you'll be shooting with to start FRODO. That way it will never switch to another app while you're playing. Also, in the Frodo Joystick setup, to bind the fire button, press and hold both the joystick button, and your chosen fire button when you press SAMPLE. This seems to eliminate the prob all together?
    3. Graphics settings: I found that switching the refresh rate to 25 or 50 gave smooth and speedy settings at 16 bpp. The auto mode was not very satisfying.
    4. Loading games. There is an easier way to load games than appears in the manual. Just select the correct disk image, then with your stylus, tap the SHIFTLOCK key, and then tap RUN/STOP. 99% of the time it will load the main game perfectly.
    5. Joystick enabling: Don't enable both Joystick 1 and 2. I found in some games, eg 1942, that the fire buttons will also perform other unwanted functions.
    6. Want to make your own basic programs on your PALM? You can transfer your programs to your Windows desktop PC, using the utility that I wrote. Look in the thread called Snapshot Exporter.. for details.
    7. Well not really a hint, but I"m looking at ways to 'mod' the joystick on my Zire7.1 so that it's perfect for this emulator. It is awful trying to get diagonals working well. I had a go today just by drilling a 1.5mm hole down into the joystick and then inserting an appropriately sized nail in there. Worked excellently until the joystick cover popped out. Went back in ok, but it gave me a glimpse of how the internal switch works and I now will be able to create a perfect little replacement joystick.  All you need is a small piece of square tubed plastic or steel of the correct size (the switch joystick is about 2mmx2mm square) and it will firmly mount on top of the internal hidden joystick.

• Nobody/Anonymous

wow, thanks for the helpful hints, especially the one on loading, makes everything a lot easier :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

No prob, glad it helps!

:)