Menu

openSUSE Freesynd starting point:

panorain
2024-01-20
2024-01-23
  • panorain

panorain - 2024-01-20

Hi, I bought this game new with the 3 and 1/2" diskettes not cd. The copy here looks exactly as I recall playing on 386DX-40. How would I start by figuring out the steps to get this working on openSUSE Tumbleweed? I was able to download Syndicate Wars from game 'nostalgia games' but in DOSBox it looks like the Playstation version, not the FreeSynd one here. How can I contribute to the project if my development experience is not advanced?

-Thanks

• benblan

benblan - 2024-01-22

Hi, thanks for your interest in the game!
    Freesynd is a reimplementation of the original Syndicate game (the 2D game). We read the original graphics and data files. It does not know the Syndicate Wars files.
    Not sure I understood what you are trying to do. Make Freesynd work on openSuse ?

• panorain

panorain - 2024-01-22

Hi thanks for writing back. I was able to get things more sorted out with the DOSBox, dbgl and a Syndicate copy from nostalgia games. I was not understanding that Syndicate is a different game than Syndicate Wars. What are the major differences between freesynd and dbgl running Syndicate? I'm not able to get midi music working (sound effects work well), and have installed fluidsynth, fluidsynth soundffonts, qackctl, qtractor,jackctl, tested with ALSA by vkeybd (dgbl Syndicate tested on openSUSE TW). I'll keep working with it (dbgl Syndicate) but I am no programmer by any means here. I see the installation notes for freesynd -> The freesynd binary will be in the "src" folder. Problem is, openSUSE TW has no /src folder. To not get this message to lengthy or perhaps bothersome i'll wait to hear back. Does freesynd have midi music working at this point in the development? The screenshots and so on look great. Thanks again for writing back.

• benblan

benblan - 2024-01-23

Using DOSBox and dbgl (I don't know it) enable you to run the original binary files using some DOS emulation.
    Freesynd is a reimplementation. That means it's a completely new program that we created from scratch and we try to code the same game with the same rules but we use the original graphics and sounds (except midi music files for the moment, we use recording of the original music).
    You don't need DOSbox to run Freesynd as it is cross platform. You just have to compile it on your platform.
    I'm currently working on the new version of Freesynd to enhance the building process.
    What source are you using to build Freesynd? You downloaded the release file or from the Git extract?