Hole

Users
Chris
2006-05-30
2013-04-19
  • Chris

Chris - 2006-05-30

I would like to know if there is an easy way to create a hole in a face, to make a window for instance ; I tried to do that by extruding an edge several times, moving the new edges, creating a new face, then deleting it, but it is rather difficult, and if I move the face including the hole, the hole doesn't follow the face as it should. Also, it is always "linked" to the face by one or more edges, which makes the face hard to develop. I don't know if what I write is clear, but please if you have a method to make a hole (rounded or square), please let me know.

Chris

• Sergio Diaz

Sergio Diaz - 2006-06-04

Hi Chris,
      I have developed a barge that you can download from FreeShip models (14.4m barge.fbm), which has a small superstructure with openings for windows and a door. To develope the openings (holes) I simply created the shape of them by means of adding edges (and not by extruding). Then I tranformed regular edges into crease edges. Within the area bounded by these crease edges an independat face is created, which you can delete to form a hole. AS simple as that...
      Note 1: to delete the face you have to make sure that no entity is selected (pressing "Deselect all" from pop-up menu or ESC key). Then you select the face that will be your hole and delete it by selecting option "Delete" from the Edit Menu or pressing CTRL X.
      Note 2: Hole edges will be always linked to other regular or crease edges so if you move the hole you may have to re-arrange the connecting edges to allow uniform and nice faces aoutside the hole.
      Regards
      Sergio.

• Chris

Chris - 2006-06-13

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for your answer. I tried your solution, but didn't succeed in deleting the new face only, when I deleted it, it also deleted some points on the connected edges (even if they weren't selected). Also, my holes aren't square or rounded, and the face where they are located isn't flat, which makes the job more difficult. For the moment my attempts aren't really successfull, but I will try again...
      Chris

• Nick Thomson

Nick Thomson - 2006-11-11

Sergio's instructions are correct but I found that one detail is missing.  To select a face, you must have Interior Edges turned on.