Menu

Legal?

Anonymous
2000-01-23
2000-01-27
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2000-01-23

Just curious about the legal issues of making FreeRaider. It is decidedly, and advertised, as a rip-off of RaiderWars. If we end up making a game just as good, or better, than RW, then we will pull business away from them.. And owe them royalties.. etc.. nevermind the lawsuit.

What have we done to avoid this? What do we plan in the future?

even games that bombed and are no longer available (say if RW doesn't go to AOL) are still applicable for lawsuits =)

• John Stephens

John Stephens - 2000-01-23

If this comes to pass let me handle the Legal issues. It should'nt be too hard to change the game just enough to make it pass the copyright office. 60-70% of "Copyrights"  are exactly what it says "Copyright". Sence, we are not coping their program (Or altering it) we technically are not infriging on the basic "Copyrights". The theory of "Taking" over Starships, we'll if you had a trademark on that that would take off over 15% of the games on the market. If we change a few names and change the name of the game (Sorry Mayday), but we don't want to seem like we are thumbing our noses at IEN, court's dont like that. We should be ok to go. John "Jamtime" Stephens

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2000-01-23

*nods* gotcha.. I just want to avoid as much trouble as possible as soon as possible.

You a lawyer or somethin' jammy? Or do you just know what you're talking about? (In reference to the "let me handle it" phrase)

• John Stephens

John Stephens - 2000-01-23

No, Not a Lawyer still a year away. I have a Law Degree just not Bared. I do have a couple of friends I have done some legalities with whom are. Along with having two Copyrights and one Patient to my name I have an idea how the USPTO,  Torts and Contracts work with such. John "Jamtime" Stephens 

• Norman Krämer

Norman Krämer - 2000-01-23

a patent ? is that the plasma burst-torp combo patent ? :)

mayday

• Dave Sickmeier

Dave Sickmeier - 2000-01-27

I agree with Jamtime, there are lots of Space Games out there, and the concept of shootem up worlds with the ability to take ground is a basic fact of life, not just in the gaming world. As long as our ships do not follow exactly the line of RW, or exceed the design of RW, then everything should be good to go.