Menu

Hidden nodes?

Alexandre
2017-05-25
2017-06-06
  • Alexandre

Alexandre - 2017-05-25

Hi,

I saw a feature in another mind mapping application where it is possible to hide nodes.
    So only the line from the parent to the node box is visible and there is a + sign to unhide it.
    If there are 2 siblings nodes one can be hidden and the other visible.

I think this allows to show more of the relevant information for the moment, hiding nodes for example that have a lot of text and are not relevant to see right now.

Any thoughts? Could this be added in a future version?

Best regards,

Alexandre

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2017-05-26

Hi, Alexander.
      You can put a node with "..." and place the hidden nodes underneath.
      The "..." doesn't bother visually, and you can place any number of hidden
      nodes below it.
      Many times, the tree structure itself contains solutions for many problems.
      You could have your hidden thing, true, but it is more elegant to use the
      tree we already have to serve the same purpose.

2017-05-25 10:56 GMT+02:00 Alexandre alexandreviau77@users.sf.net:

Hi,

I saw a feature in another mind mapping application where it is possible
      to hide nodes.
      So only the line from the parent to the node box is visible and there is a
      + sign to unhide it.
      If there are 2 siblings nodes one can be hidden and the other visible.

I think this allows to show more of the relevant information for the
      moment, hiding nodes for example that have a lot of text and are not
      relevant to see right now.

Any thoughts? Could this be added in a future version?

Best regards,

Alexandre

Hidden nodes?
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/f62a7b54/?limit=25#abd3

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2017-05-26

Hi Miguel,

Yes it might work for most cases, good idea. But there may be case were for example we would want to keep the nodes at the same level, for scripts for example or for automatic formating or simply to have it at the same level.

Alexandre

• Miguel Boyer

Yes. Not perfect. Just a compromise.
      The thing is the community is trying to avoid new features for things that
      can be done, more or less, with the existing tools.
      Apparently, new users never get to learn so many minor features. They don't
      find them. That is why I was suggesting this alternative. (That's what i
      do. Intensive use of the tree structure. And yes, i hide nodes behind the
      "..." myself.)

2017-05-26 10:28 GMT+02:00 Alexandre alexandreviau77@users.sf.net:

Hi Miguel,

Yes it might work for most cases, good idea. But there may be case were
      for example we would want to keep the nodes at the same level, for scripts
      for example or for automatic formating or simply to have it at the same
      level.

Alexandre

Hidden nodes?
      https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/f62a7b54/?limit=25#d69b

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2017-05-26

Maybe it could be put in the todo list for later, I think it might be
        useful.

Maybe new users will not use it but after a while they may.

Also I think that one things that makes the feature hard to find is the
        menu organization. But I don't know how to solve that. I think that a
        ribbon bar could be something great for freeplane. Why wouldn't freeplane
        start using a ribbon menu like docear:

[image: pasted2]

[image: pasted1]

Le ven. 26 mai 2017 à 11:41, Miguel Boyer pilominco@users.sf.net a écrit :

Yes. Not perfect. Just a compromise.
        The thing is the community is trying to avoid new features for things that
        can be done, more or less, with the existing tools.
        Apparently, new users never get to learn so many minor features. They don't
        find them. That is why I was suggesting this alternative. (That's what i
        do. Intensive use of the tree structure. And yes, i hide nodes behind the
        "..." myself.)

2017-05-26 10:28 GMT+02:00 Alexandre alexandreviau77@users.sf.net:

Hi Miguel,

Yes it might work for most cases, good idea. But there may be case were
        for example we would want to keep the nodes at the same level, for scripts
        for example or for automatic formating or simply to have it at the same
        level.
        Alexandre

Hidden nodes?

https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/f62a7b54/?limit=25#d69b

Hidden nodes?
        https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/f62a7b54/?limit=25#d69b/1c56

• Miguel Boyer

Alexandre:

You are doing something right: defending your proposal against criticism
          (me). You are right not being shy about it. That's the whole purpose of
          this community.

About ribbons, the issue has arisen in the past. I was clearly against it.
          I do hate ribbons.
          I think they take real state and are not clearer that the good'ol menus.
          They seem better for people that are not that proficient with computers.
          But, to be honest, that is not the target set of people for this software.
          I kind of remember Dimitry got happy with this point of view and dropped
          the idea. (Less work for him, and we are already happy with the menus.)

I would agree reorganization of the menus could be useful. But i don't
          know. Difficult to tell for me, because i have known Freeplane for ages, i
          can't tell what has to be made clearer. I'm just reminding people that we
          have here established long ago that newbies get lost with the options of
          this program. This idea is a consensus now. Dimitry himself reminds us
          about it pretty often.

In short: I have nothing against your hiding nodes if you insist. I don't
          see why you can't do it with my suggestion, but i don't mind new features.
          On the other hand, i'm against the ribbons.

Good luck with your proposal, though.

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2017-05-26

The menu + the toolbars + F-bar and filter bar are taking already as much
            space than the outlook ribbon bar. Also the outlook ribbon bar can be
            collapsed leaving only the file menu.

The discussion was about newbies not finding features, also there was some
            other discussion about how to make freeplane more accessible or used by
            people vs marketing... but I think one issue could be simply that it
            appears complex to new users. The ribon bar seems makes all features and
            hidden features visible and seems to simplify apps, for example outlook or
            word were the ribbon bars contain a lot of features.

Best regards,

Alexandre

Le ven. 26 mai 2017 à 13:52, Miguel Boyer pilominco@users.sf.net a écrit :

Alexandre:

You are doing something right: defending your proposal against criticism
            (me). You are right not being shy about it. That's the whole purpose of
            this community.

About ribbons, the issue has arisen in the past. I was clearly against it.
            I do hate ribbons.
            I think they take real state and are not clearer that the good'ol menus.
            They seem better for people that are not that proficient with computers.
            But, to be honest, that is not the target set of people for this software.
            I kind of remember Dimitry got happy with this point of view and dropped
            the idea. (Less work for him, and we are already happy with the menus.)

I would agree reorganization of the menus could be useful. But i don't
            know. Difficult to tell for me, because i have known Freeplane for ages, i
            can't tell what has to be made clearer. I'm just reminding people that we
            have here established long ago that newbies get lost with the options of
            this program. This idea is a consensus now. Dimitry himself reminds us
            about it pretty often.

In short: I have nothing against your hiding nodes if you insist. I don't
            see why you can't do it with my suggestion, but i don't mind new features.
            On the other hand, i'm against the ribbons.

Good luck with your proposal, though.

Hidden nodes?
            https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/f62a7b54/?limit=25#d69b/1c56/32ef/1b9a

• BLOOD WOLF 3

BLOOD WOLF 3 - 2017-05-26

Hi Alexandre,

yes and no. Ribbons as in Office 2007+ take too much real-estate and show less features/options because you need quite big icons and space between them, what kind of limits you in amount of displayed icons/features. You can put all the icons on smaller real-estate but then you'll have the contradiction: especially newbies, no one will find anything. Splitting each main function onto "ribbon-tabs" and having more functions displayed on the ribbon may also be overwhelming for the user.
              And, what to do and how to resort the icons when you work with a mid-sized window instead of full screen?

I had proposed to expose every property of a node for scripting (read/write-able).
              x-y Position, visibility, dimensions. But no answer.

So you can help yourself by changing the dimensions of your node to smallest possible size and changing the text/background/edge colors to background-color by scripting. May be its even not necessary to change sizes. The connection lines can also be "removed" by setting their color to the background. I'n not sure anymore, haven't used freeplane in a while.

Easiest way is to define a new style for that and switch styles with script; I believe...

rgds
              tony

• Anton Aylward

Anton Aylward - 2017-05-27

On 26/05/17 07:04 AM, Alexandre wrote:

The discussion was about newbies not finding features, also there was some
              other discussion about how to make freeplane more accessible or used by
              people vs marketing... but I think one issue could be simply that it
              appears complex to new users.

I disagree that Freeplane, or any software, APPEARS complex to new users,
              unless they have been brainwashed by the Big Name Vendors who have instilled a
              lack of initiative and negative learning attitude.

I get a new piece of software the first thing I do is a step-and-repeat through
              the menu bar to see what's there, so see what the functions are.

I take notes. Yes, I write things down on a piece of papers; things to
              investigate, things to look up, things to explore, things to experiment with. I
              know that I am one of the vast multitude that 'learn by doing' and these notes
              mean that my 'doing' is guided, structured, by these notes, rather than a
              random, unstructured "drunkards walk'.

If there is manual or some kind of how-to, a learning example, in some cases a
              'code example' or similar that I can work though, that's great. I do that.
              then I do it again with variations to see what effect that has.

I HATE* the dumbed down user interfaces that assume the user has no
              intuitive, needs all functions available, visible at the top level, is unwilling
              to spend time learning, unwilling to experiment. Get real: a four-year old
              child is not stupid hand has plenty of curiosity and enjoys learning. saying
              you design simple UIs that even a child could understand is an insult to childhood!

I LIKE learning!

So, what's wrong with the Freeplane menu system?
              What's wrong is that the Freeplane code base isn't as gigantic as, say,
              OpenOffice, where you can rearrange the menu-bar indefinitely, the position of
              the icons and options, what appears in each option group on the
              menu-bar/icon-bar. What's wrong with Freeplane is that it is the coherent
              vision of one guy, Dimitry, who can choose what to implement or not implement,
              rather than the "by committee" design of something like OpenOffice. (If you
              haven't read Brooks and others on the coherence of a design by a single
              architect, then please do before entering an argument about it.) What's wrong
              with Freeplane is that it's free, that Dimity isn't paid for the development and
              support of Freeplane as a full-time job that he can make a lining doing.

Many of the complaints people seem to have about Freeplane can be rectified by
              going an purchasing something like XMindPro, MindJet's once excellent product,
              others. Some of those suck closely at the Microsoft or the Apple teat, s
              closely, I sometimes think, that there is something more to the relationship.

I'm a Linux user; I use quite a number of 3rd party products, that use Java.
              I do this not because I'm mean or cheap or my middle name is 'Scrooge', but
              because so many of these are actually excellent pieces of software. So many of
              them are like Freeplane, the coherent vision of one one architect. We used to
              have that with a lot of software for the PC, back in the 1980s and 1990s, before
              it all became Big Business and the bean counters took over. Personally I think
              the visibility and support that Dimity gives with Freeplane beat out many of the
              products that charge $$$ and give erroneous documentation and unresponsive
              support. (You know who I mean!) I just wish that I could finance some of these
              projects.

Please, contribute what you can.

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2017-06-06

One of the advantages of the hidden node is that when colapsing and expanding all nodes these will stay hidden. It works like that on the other mapping tool i tried.