Menu

suggestion (or help request): more aggressive alert for reminders (eg, on map tab OR sound)

Ken Hill
2016-01-11
2016-01-14
  • Ken Hill

Ken Hill - 2016-01-11

I often have several maps open. Say I set a reminder in map A then switch to working on map B. When map A's alarm goes off I am unaware of it because I don't see anything or hear anything to alert me. I only become aware of the alert when I switch back to map A.

Is there a setting somewhere that lets me make the alert go beyond the map in which it is set?

For example, if the blinking reminder icon could be displayed on the map's tab or if a sound is activated when the reminder is due. That way even when working in map B I could see that an alarm went off in map A or hear that an alarm went off in another map.

I looked for this but couldn't find it.

If there is not currently a way to accomplish this, I would like to see it added as an improvement.

Thanks.

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2016-01-11

+1 on this sugestion

• Volker Börchers

Such different alert mechanisms could perhaps be provided by an add-on - is there anyone who likes to accept the challenge?
      Volker

• zipizap

zipizap - 2016-01-11

Would love to try to make an addon for it (and discover what are these
        reminders all about) but dont have available time and cant compromise with
        it. But the idea of harnessing contributions from the community to help
        improve freeplane (and relieve the main devs from smaller tasks) seems
        very powerfull.

Best regard
        Zipizap
        El 11/01/2016 19:53, Volker Börchers boercher@users.sf.net escribió:

Such different alert mechanisms could perhaps be provided by an add-on -
        is there anyone who likes to accept the challenge?
        Volker

suggestion (or help request): more aggressive alert for reminders (eg, on
        map tab OR sound)
        http://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/e6af6a01/?limit=25#be87/e9b9

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
        https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
        https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Pedro

Pedro - 2016-01-12

Great idea, the blinking tab.
    +1

• Dimitry Polivaev

People, a blinking tab is not easy to implement.
    And also I think that this issue is not good for scripting.

I can either display a pop-up or display some text at the status bar or change a frame icon.
    Decide what you like more.

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2016-01-12

Actually, I was thinking myself of a pop up. Seems rather simple to
      implement. And it goes ahead of any tabs, I guess.
      Also, it's impossible to miss. It could have a button to go to the node
      that triggers that alert.
      So, my vote goes to the pop up. It seems natural for an alarm

Thanks, Dimitry.

• Ken Hill

Ken Hill - 2016-01-13

+1

pop up. ... ahead of any tabs ... button to go to the node that triggers that alert.

Last edit: Ken Hill 2016-01-13
  • Volker Börchers

And also I think that this issue is not good for scripting.

not via the scripting API but via their more or less unlimited access to internal APIs. The advantage of add-ons is that they are perfect for customization.

• j-lon

j-lon - 2016-01-13

Yes, This makes sense to me. It would also be great if it was clearer how to turn off the reminder. Having to dig through the tools menu to turn it off was a little confusing for me. Or is there an easier way that I'm missing?

• Ken Hill

Ken Hill - 2016-01-14

Just for my own reference - when a forum suggestion picks up some traction, is it still necessary to file a feature request ticket? (On other betas I've been involved with, a ticket has to be filed after forum discussion determines interest -- and often fine tunes the request.)